Some Questions About WLE and Ohio

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

Some Questions About WLE and Ohio

Unread post by TPW4055_BNSF2184 »

Im going to Ohio at the end of the month and I had a few questions:

Ive looked at a few places and was wondering what ones am I most likely to see the most WLE traffic. Bellevue, Carey, Creston, or Greenwich? Also where is the best place to get the Ohio Central and when does the MAW run out of Defiance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Some Questions About WLE and Ohio

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The railroad that operates out of Defiance is the Napoleon Defiance & Western, its a Pioneer property - they took over from the MAW a couple years ago. Defiance is still the base of operations however. Between Defiance and Napoleon US 24 generally parallels the line so it would be easy to see anything moving between the two towns.

As for the Wheeling, With Carey being the end of the line, whatever arrives will (eventually) depart. Greenwich of course has the advantage of working the CSX while waiting for whatever Wheeling moves there are. I'd also check out Spencer Ohio as this is where two wheeling lines cross. I can't speak for Bellevue or Cresson though.

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

Ok thanks. I realized Pioneer got the MAW after the fact so ill probably skip that unless the 107 and 105 are still around. My plan if everything goes ok (weather) is to start in the Akron area/Brewster and work my way back west. Definitely going to Lima and probably check out Fostoria for a brief period of time. My main thing is WLE, and shorelines and CSX. WLE being main focus. So would you happen to know how many WLE trains go through Spencer?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Trains Magazine did a feature article about WLE a few years ago. It seems like an average of 10-12 or so trains a day went through Spencer (during the limestone season). I don't know what it's like now, though.
TPW4055_BNSF2184 wrote:So would you happen to know how many WLE trains go through Spencer?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

Ok. Well Ill check it out then Ill most likely head north to Wellington then Greenwich. One last question:

Would anyone happen to know when the ABC runs on the CSX in Akron?