If many RR's are now narrowband, how do older scanners work?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

If many RR's are now narrowband, how do older scanners work?

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

From what I've been told, CSX and NS are all on Narrowband. These guys with their trusty old Yaesu and radio shack scanners that do not support narrowband - how do they still get good reception and coverage?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: If many RR's are now narrowband, how do older scanners w

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

No problem ( so far ). Still hear everything like before. The only thing noticeable is some of the audio is lower / softer. It's when they go full digital ( also known as narrow narrow band ) things might be a little different.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

M.D.Bentley wrote:No problem ( so far ). Still hear everything like before. The only thing noticeable is some of the audio is lower / softer. It's when they go full digital ( also known as narrow narrow band ) things might be a little different.

Thank you! Reason I asked, is I'm picking between a Yaesu FT-270R and a Kenwood TH-K20A - both get rave reviews in railroad bands and both run identical prices.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

A narrow band signal is the same strength, on the same frequency. The audio modulation is just narrowed, resulting in lower volume. This allows them to squeeze in more frequencies, without spillover from adjacent channels.
Full digital is a whole different animal, and will require a scanner capable of receiving digital transmissions. Just like when they went to digital TV and your old TV wouldn't work anymore.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

hoborich wrote:A narrow band signal is the same strength, on the same frequency. The audio modulation is just narrowed, resulting in lower volume. This allows them to squeeze in more frequencies, without spillover from adjacent channels.
Full digital is a whole different animal, and will require a scanner capable of receiving digital transmissions. Just like when they went to digital TV and your old TV wouldn't work anymore.

Thank you for the information! Do you have any recommendations for a portable antenna to screw on for 160 Mhz ranges? I'm already ordering a custom J pole which should draw 30-40 miles 70 feet high, but need something mobile as well.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

For mobile, I just use an old CB mag mount antenna on the roof. The CB antenna is not the proper length for VHF railroad frequencies, but it still improves reception considerably, probably just because it's longer, and presents more capture area to the signals, than the rubber duckie. I see no advantage to receiving train communications more than ten miles away. Especially in urban areas where the train you hear may not be coming your way.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".