Crossbucks

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Crossbucks

Unread post by hoborich »

I know where there is a set of steel crossbucks on a 4 by 4 wooden pole, with attached STOP sign below the cross bucks, at a nearby antique shop. What would they be worth? The crossbucks are steel, in good condition, with no rust. The wooden post is also in good condition.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Crossbucks

Unread post by Ypsi »

What they are worth is to the eye of he beholder, and how much the person wants to ask really. We have purchased an older white text on black sign cross buck from a train show for $40 before, but some people may ask a lot more. If it is one with marbles they may be asking more, if it is rusty they may ask more because it shows "age", it all depends. Since you are looking in a retail setting I would guess this set of cross bucks is listed in the $200-$250 range since it is in a store.. Maybe slightly more since its on a post with a stop sign, but stop signs are a dime a dozen in most cases.

The proper evaluation of the unit is what someone will pay really, and I would not be surprised if it sold for $200+ to a collector or someone furnishing a home/ business. (This is my experience with rr collectables so someone else may have a different opinion or thoughts)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

I think it had the marbles, or tiny reflectors. I'll have another look when I'm over that way. Not sure where I would put it. Maybe I can get a pic of it. Thanks.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Probably more than.. If the stop sign is marbled too it could be more. My guess is a "good price" would be $200 for the set but it's probably listed for more
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Actually it was $155, if I recall and I haven't been back yet. The crossbucks were marble eyes. The stop sign was just the usual red and white letters, no marbles.