First Siemens Charger Rolls Out of the Shop

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

First Siemens Charger Rolls Out of the Shop

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

And quite frankly, I'm not really feelin it.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/trac ... otive.html

:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: First Siemens Charger Rolls Out of the Shop

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I'd like to see a broadside angle...the front isn't that bad, at least there is more going on than the boring-as-can-be P42s
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Euro Trash

Needs a nose, whats with all the strobe lights looks like an industrial remote control unit.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Saturnalia wrote:I'd like to see a broadside angle...the front isn't that bad, at least there is more going on than the boring-as-can-be P42s
I agree a broadside would be nice... which is why we have this: http://www.mainlinediesels.net/index.ph ... mage#title

The Brightline (formerly All Aboard Florida) Charger's will have more of a nose. And I think the strobes were part of the bid; dono why IL DOT requested it however.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

I kind of like it, although a bit biased with MDOT getting some (and my current client providing the "Hedgehog" prime movers). As a passenger I'm more interested in Nippon-Sharyo fixing the bi-level engineering issue so we can get some new varnish to run behind these PNT-CHI. That's where our seats are located - not in the cab. :wink:

Will be interesting to see shots or video of this prototype run through the paces in Pueblo, where I suspect it's headed (after the publicity shots with our pretty FRA Administrator).
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

I certainly hope the actual ones will be getting a bit more of a nose. As is, it certainly doesn't look like it would withstand much of an impact, although I'm sure Siemens considered that in the design phase.

We'll see how things turn out in Pueblo. Maybe it'll make up in safety what it lacks in looks.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'm sure it has better collision posts than a F40 or an E8 ever had. As for "looking European" of course it does and there's two easy reasons for that, besides the obvious (Europe/Asia is where most activity is happening) those designs carry the perception of "cutting edge" to the general public like nothing else would. Face it folks, even if a "new E8" could be made at a reasonable cost, it'd still present the image of something that the average person's grandfather rode behind....