[Rail History] Post your towns local rail history!

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
GorbiOak
Railroadfan...fan

[Rail History] Post your towns local rail history!

Unread post by GorbiOak »

Now i thought i would post this here cause in reality, the post/s is, are, and will be quite long. And, because i cannot post more then three attachments, i have to upload this into two parts.

Here we go:

The Northwest has a very rich rail history scene. I was born to late to see any of the drastic major changes up here (Ie. MILW, Snoqualmie group, Pre Sound Transit Seattle Sub etc...) but since then i have learned about the surrounding area. Auburn Washington was home to a yard, diesel shops and a 26 stall roundhouse! All buildings (With the exception of the old NP Storehouse) were raised.
What used to be.jpg

In addition to the roundhouse, there were two stations at auburn. The old North South Station on the NP line to Seattle was raised (Date unknown At this time) and for a short time was a vacant lot. in 2001 Sound Transit built a brand new commuter station on the old site of the old NP Station.
NP Station Site.jpg
Now the NP Mainline to Seattle wasn't the only big thing about Auburn. As it turns out, Auburn was the extreme western end of the NP's Transcon! So you would think that the Transcon trains heading south would continue on to Tacoma or Heading north would stop at the old NP Depot in the center of Auburn right? Wrong. For some bizarre reason, the NP Decided to build ANOTHER station on the east end of the wye. This station actually survived after the merger and was in fact a Scheduled station stop for Amtraks "North Coast Hiawatha".

NP Station Sight 2.jpg

GorbiOak
Railroadfan...fan

Re: [Rail History] Post your towns local rail history!

Unread post by GorbiOak »

/Reserving this for Part two tomorrow