New NS Power?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

New NS Power?

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Evening all,

NSDash9's FB page is reporting that NS will be receiving new power: ET44ACs. The following is from the page:
NEW GE POWER! NS will be receiving an order of 50 new locomotives later in 2016 from General Electric, which will include 47 ET44AC Tier 4 certified units and 3 ES44AC Tier 4 credit units. The ET44AC's will be numbered in a new series as NS 3600-3646 and the ES44AC units will be numbered 8166-8168. ...
Now, there wasn't a link attached to any official announcement so I'm not 100% sure how accurate this information is. A lot of people are up in arms about more "generic widecabs" because of the wealth of stored units NS has.

Thoughts?

-NS
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: New NS Power?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

If it's NSdash9, it's legit. End of story.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

NSSD70ACe wrote: A lot of people are up in arms about more "generic widecabs" because of the wealth of stored units NS has.

Thoughts?
A lot of people apparently need to get over themselves..
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Hoping widecabs go away is like hoping the moon doesn't rise tonight. Ain't gonna happen. What's the alternative?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Saturnalia wrote:Hoping widecabs go away is like hoping the moon doesn't rise tonight. Ain't gonna happen. What's the alternative?
From a railroaders point of view. Wide cabs are nice. I do have a soft spot for standards cabs though.

As far as wide cabs, I find our own (NS) to be more preferable, if not a little barren on features (like a conductors side over head fan). UP and BNSF are usually pretty low on the list, vinyl seats and generally non working air conditioners (except the new GEVOs). CSX units are alright but, generally have the rear conductors seat in the middle of the cab (often referred to as a captains chair). CN/CP units are far and few between on my district but, the the last one I had (a CP AC4400) didn't even have an air conditioner. Makes for a rough day when its in the 90s, wide cabs don't "flow well" so to speek. Can't crack the front door with a flag stick like the ole standard cabs.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

CN/CP units are far and few between on my district but, the the last one I had (a CP AC4400) didn't even have an air conditioner.
But I bet it had a really good heater, do they still have refrigerators, water coolers, and hotplates/microwaves?
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

SousaKerry wrote:
CN/CP units are far and few between on my district but, the the last one I had (a CP AC4400) didn't even have an air conditioner.
But I bet it had a really good heater, do they still have refrigerators, water coolers, and hotplates/microwaves?
I believe it only had the hot plate and "refrigerator" that uses ice. The last couple Canadian units I've seen have lost their microwaves.