Plymouth / train definition questions

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Plymouth / train definition questions

Unread post by KVERBERK »

First of all not sure if this belongs here or in historical. This is sort of a complicated question but here it goes.

I have been wondering about the definition of a local train vs a yard job vs a road train. Now I do know the basic difference as the name does tell what each is. However I have been wondering more specifically about trains around Plymouth. I have been looking at the Plymouth diamond web site: http://xrailfan.com/trains/ply/plydiam.html. Now I do realize this site is out of date and may not apply to current CSX operations. That is ok becasue I am actually more interested in early CSX operations, probably even earlier than the plymouth diamond website depicts.

That being said I look at the list of trains and I wonder for example this train: "D711 Manistee/Baldwin Turn" How is this a local in regard to plymouth?

Also is there a way figure out what trains ran around plymouth in the early days of CSX and what was their function?

For example, this train "D739 Wixom Local" what was the purpose and general make up of this train? Now an educated guess would say it services the Wixom assembly plant but there is also this train: "D741 Wixom Switcher" What is the difference?

There are also yard Jobs listed, for example: Y207 2nd Trick, what did this train do

I guess I'm just wondering if there is any source for more detailed info about specific trains around plymouth in the earlier days of CSX? if not maybe some detailed info about local and yard jobs out of Plmouth today? Although things seem pretty slim these days, I imagine with all the auto traffic it was much more interesting 30 years ago. Any way I hope this post makes sense and any info, discussion will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Plymouth / train definition questions

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Since 1990, when the LETTER-NUMBER-NUMBER-NUMBER symbolizing was inaugurated on CSX, one can tell what type of train it was by the Letter, and sometimes number combination (Q-series only).

Now by looking through this page you can easily sense the pattern, and what letter means what:
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/CSX_Train_Symbols

The primary groups are:
---ROAD TRAINS: primarily Qxxx - Initially symbolized with an "R", but by 1997 changed to "Q", these are trains that are regularly scheduled. Additionally, all of the unit trains (E, N, G, V, K, etc) classify as road trains.
---YARD JOBS: All have the prefix "Y"
---LOCALS: Locals get their prefix based on division. For the old Detroit Division, it is D, hence D707, D717, etc.

Now, as to what is a road/local/yard job based on what they do...
---IN GENERAL, road trains originate at x and terminate at y, with little to no enroute switching. If there are pickups/setouts, it is blocks at various yards.
---IN GENERAL, local trains originate and terminate at x, though this may not always be the case. They're primarily for enroute switching, but may also ferry blocks from larger yards to smaller ones.
---IN GENERAL, yard trains are based in the yards and stay close to the yards, not more than a handful miles of mainline running if there is any. They're run by the yard crews and may also perform yard switching as needed or in their schedule. Many transfer jobs in metro areas are considered to be Y jobs.

There are some exceptions, of course. The primary differences are in how crews are paid and chosen - for instance there is a difference between the Yard jobs and the Road jobs as to what pools/boards the crews themselves are on.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for that information Saturnalia. The more I think about the yard/local/road trains I believe I understand how they function. The list on the web site was a bit confusing at first because it included towns that didn't really seem local to the plymouth area. Anyway, I am interested in the train symbols before 1990, and I would really love to see a list like the one on the plymouth diamond site of trains that ran in Plymouth before 1990, especially if it included more specific info on what that train did. I Am very interested in industries served during that time period. I really enjoy your youtube channel by the way.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

old csx definitions can be found on www.bullsheet.com. the site was current around 2000.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

For the most part, road freight, road switcher, and local switcher deals with the operating agreement and rates of pay. Road trains are straight away service from point a to b. In addition, only allowed to work at 3 stations on a road train without additional compensation. Work more than three, due a higher rate of pay because you're a road switched then. So, Q509 out of Garrett would put their train together at Garrett (station 1), work Defiance (station 2), and put train away at Toledo (station 3). If you worked Hicksville, OH that was a 4th station on your trip, and thusly made you a road switcher. If train was ready (which it never was) then you didn't work at Garrett.

Difference between road switcher and local isn't much. From what I recall, locals pay higher than road switcher. Road switchers can enter and leave a terminal multiple times during their trip with out penalty claims being due. Locals are allowed to leave only once. If they leave again, due 8 hrs pay.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

CXS_CO, interesting information that I had not heard before. Thanks for sharing.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan