New Addition to the NS Fleet

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

New Addition to the NS Fleet

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Say hello to NS 4000, the first AC44C6M in NS's new "Demonstrator" scheme. She's scheduled to enter revenue service out of Chattenooga soon.

Some say she's a shot at CP with the D&H colors.

:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: New Addition to the NS Fleet

Unread post by Ypsi »

Good lord NS wants to use every crayon in the box.. I can't believe they are still doing special paint units, and that one is interesting and frankly kind of a "lazy" job if it's supposed to be special.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Ypsi wrote:Good lord NS wants to use every crayon in the box.. I can't believe they are still doing special paint units, and that one is interesting and frankly kind of a "lazy" job if it's supposed to be special.

Kind of looks like a sad photoshop :lol:
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

It's unique that's for sure, yet it reminds me of the CitiRail leasing units. Some have been saying it's showing heritage for the D&H (I don't think so).

This engine is already getting a big following for the nickname "Sonic Bonnet" (from the video game character Sonic the Hedghog). I guess NS is catering to the railfans from Green Hill Zone. :lol:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Racer wrote:It's unique that's for sure, yet it reminds me of the CitiRail leasing units. Some have been saying it's showing heritage for the D&H (I don't think so).

This engine is already getting a big following for the nickname "Sonic Bonnet" (from the video game character Sonic the Hedghog). I guess NS is catering to the railfans from Green Hill Zone. :lol:

That's a good comparison :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Looks more like a CSX unit then an NS
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

What is the meaning of "DC to AC" under the cab window? These are just the completely rebuilt D9-40C units, right, with a GEVO cab and other modifications?

I see D&H all over the place!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GP30M4216 wrote:What is the meaning of "DC to AC" under the cab window? These are just the completely rebuilt D9-40C units, right, with a GEVO cab and other modifications?

I see D&H all over the place!
No, these are fully rebuilt with AC
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

:mrgreen: I read and saw this on Facebook "Rail Enthusiasts." You don't have to be a member to access the link, but here is the description for the photo:

"Norfolk Southern unveils a NEW paint scheme outside the DeButts Yard Paint Shop in Chattanooga, TN. GE AC44C6M wears the new paint scheme as the Prototype for the Norfolk Southern's DC to AC conversion program. This unit started out as GE Dash-9 No. 8799 with DC Traction - converted to AC Traction in 2015. Start looking for more units in this paint scheme to roll on NS rails as they continue to convert more DC units to AC units."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 685&type=3
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Just to note, unit is back in the paint shop at Chattanooga and photos pulled off the net. Sources say the blue NS horsehead logo was supposed to be black. So that is now the photo of the "as originally released" version.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Hahah guess it was a little too much CSeXy for management

TrainWatcher wrote:Just to note, unit is back in the paint shop at Chattanooga and photos pulled off the net. Sources say the blue NS horsehead logo was supposed to be black. So that is now the photo of the "as originally released" version.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"