Where to railfan?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.

Where should we go?

Porter
21%
South Bend
13%
Fostoria
33%
Detroit
21%
Fort Wayne
4%
Elkhart
8%

Total votes: 24

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Where to railfan?

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Morning everyone. Where's our snow?! :evil:

My mom and sister are leaving town for a college visit to University of Miami this Sunday and my dad and I are trying to plan a trip to go somewhere for a day and go railfanning. However, we'd like to try and avoid Elkhart as we've mostly milked that area dry. We'd like to stay pretty close to home as we have three dogs (one of which is a puppy) but get someplace where we'll see a lot of action. We're thinking someplace in Indiana, and my dad brought up the idea of Fostoria, but that depends on getting a dog sitter. This is what I have on my list so far:

Porter/Chesterton/Burns Harbor
South Bend
Elkhart (if we really have to)
Fostoria (that's more of a luxury....)
Detroit (a good area preferably)
Fort Wayne

Is anyone willing to please post a synopsis of what we might find in each location? I know Elkhart and Porter pretty well but the rest are a blank for me. :oops:

Thank you and have a great day!

-NS
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Where to railfan?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Deshler. Good park, right side of the tracks, plenty of action. Downside: it's all CSX. And since Fostoria is close to Deshler, you can easily swing both in a day.

Porter is nice...though I recommend 15th St over Riley's.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

In Detroit your best option for the most trains is in a not so pretty area, and that is Delray. Now Delray is not a bad place to be, but you have to be alert and not stupid. As for photogenic it is not too great, lots of poles and dirt. You could try Romulus Michigan for a decent train count between the NS, CP, and CSX. From there you would be within driving range of Detroit and the other spots like Wayne (you could get your daily Amtrak's here as well as CSX Romukus traffic) and Plymouth (if it goes through Romukus it goes through Plymouth on the CSX). There is also the blacktop at Oakwood yard you could try, and some other locations on the CN like near the Detroit Amtrak station or near Milwaukee junction. In addition to these spots Wyandotte is also a safe place to go, you can get the Conrail, CN, and NS There. Detroit can be very interesting, however you have to have a decent idea of where to go and be aware of what you are doing in some spot. I have never been bothered by the locals (however I have been bothered by some jack@ss local in Romukus..) so if you are willing and don't go in with a "I'm gonna get shot" additude Detroit can be good.

Personally I didn't care for Deshler for train watching, the park was nice and there were a lot of trains however I just didn't really 'like' it as much as other spots.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Oak Harbor.
Brett

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I vote for Arnold St in South Bend, or Ligonier/Kimmell IN. Take 131 south from Kzoo, head to Ligonier, and bounce back and forth between NS and CSX which is just 6 miles south. If you head east from Kimmell, there are many bridges over CSX to get overhead shots if that's your thing.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Northwood (Vickers) is good for watching again, since completion of the overpass project. Photograph from the bridges themselves, or drive down to where Wales Road and Drouillard Road used to cross the CSX and NS tracks. Both roads are truncated and dead end at the tracks now. Park wherever, as long as it isn't on the property of the car detailing business.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

The police may stop and visit you at Vickers if you are parked there. At least they did when I was there. They didn't ask me to leave and were very polite, they knew why I was there even. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't there to cause problems I guess. Even gave me a reference to use in case the officer on the next shift stopped by too. Was kind of weird.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

If you want true Chicago line rail fanning and you spend a day at Porter Junction and need someplace to sleep. Try considering Riley's Rail house! its not even 50 feet from tracks!