NS to be Taken Over by CP?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: NS to be Taken Over by CP?

Unread post by CSX_CO »

NS better get results for their shareholders, and quick, or there is going to be a call for a major turnover at the top. With the business NS is running off, or flat out losing to CSX, there are going to be some very unhappy shareholders wondering "what if". Those would be the one that care about their investments, and not that they own stock in their favorite railroad and run pretty engines.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX_CO wrote:NS better get results for their shareholders, and quick, or there is going to be a call for a major turnover at the top. With the business NS is running off, or flat out losing to CSX, there are going to be some very unhappy shareholders wondering "what if". Those would be the one that care about their investments, and not that they own stock in their favorite railroad and run pretty engines.
I'm getting the sense that CSX is losing to NS as well. Probably a wash in aggregate terms.

More realistically, NS and CSX are probably losing more traffic to other modes than to each other...or traffic just isn't showing up, period.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Saturnalia wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:NS better get results for their shareholders, and quick, or there is going to be a call for a major turnover at the top. With the business NS is running off, or flat out losing to CSX, there are going to be some very unhappy shareholders wondering "what if". Those would be the one that care about their investments, and not that they own stock in their favorite railroad and run pretty engines.
I'm getting the sense that CSX is losing to NS as well. Probably a wash in aggregate terms.

More realistically, NS and CSX are probably losing more traffic to other modes than to each other...or traffic just isn't showing up, period.
CSX recently won nearly all (if not all) of Hondas finished auto business east of the Mississippi. Greensburg, IN production is going to CSX from 0 (all of it went to NS before), and Honda is building a transload facility in Alabama to dray their production to, despite NS being right on site. Plus CSX won new business from Toyota also. Pretty bold step on Hondas part to rely on one carrier to move all their east coast traffic. Speaks volumes they're willing to truck cars to another railroad to avoid NS loading on site.

So, no, not a wash in aggregate terms. NS is actively pushing customers away. Either directly by saying they don't want the business, through rate increases, or their car routing decisions. The horse is sick, but still people dazzled by the bright engines and tea kettles.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

Attachments
image.png

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

I really love those admins sometimes :lol:
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

NSSD70ACe wrote:

I really love those admins sometimes :lol:
Mhm. Sure you do. Because you're one of them.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AMTK55 wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote: I really love those admins sometimes :lol:
Mhm. Sure you do. Because you're one of them.
You just went full IKJames. Never go full IKJames.

(As in, posting your page on your other page without revealing that you control both)

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

You just got roasted by Genitalia
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Also, I don't see Ackman posting he's done with NS, just CP. he's probably still lurking out there, counting his votes, and laying in wait.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

CP share price up rather nicely again today, up about 14 bucks a share the last three trading days. Someone LIKES the fact that the NS albatross is staying around someone elses neck instead of theirs.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Doktor No wrote:CP share price up rather nicely again today, up about 14 bucks a share the last three trading days. Someone LIKES the fact that the NS albatross is staying around someone elses neck instead of theirs.
That or they know CP has a lot of liquid cash laying around, and they'll push for a stock buy back. That gives them a quick profit.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Well this popped up on FB today in the SC Milepost 65 group:
Thank you Ron for the add! Hopefully I can be useful to this group. Found out some info today that you all may find interesting.

So as many of you have heard, Union Pacific, (or so we thought,) ran an office car special out of Ft. Wayne onto the UP at Sidney, IL. While it is said that this whole thing was simply UP looking for a better route around Chicago, this is not the case. While partially true, the train has UP, NS, and CP executives on the train. I am told by a reliable source, (a high up colleague of mine with Norfolk Southern,) that the real reason this trip is running was originally due to the fact that the UP wanted to acquire NS and roll them into their system. Originally UP wanted to merge with CSX but could not come to terms after last years UP OCS ran on CSX.

However, when Canadian Pacific heard about this UP wanting to acquire NS, they wanted in, because as we all know, they still want NS. So, CP tossed out the idea to UP that if they combined what CP had offered over the past winter with more money from UP, that NS would have no choice but to accept the offer. UP said that they would only entertain the idea if they could get Hunter Harrison to be the new CEO of the railroad since he has done such a, "good job," with Canadian Pacific.

Obviously, after all the problems with this last years proposed merger, CP couldn't really use their OCS, so it was decided to not ruffle the feathers as much and to use the UP OCS with the CP F units up front since UP's E9's are in the shop. Unfortunately, the F's had to be pulled due to issues that were not explained to my contact that came up at the last minute.

The logistical reason behind all this is it gives CP a route to the Gulf for oil and a way around Chicago. (Or I should say what used to be CP, I imagine if this goes through, it will all become the UP.) And, it will give the UP a way around Chicago, and a link to the east and south.

We will just have to see in time how things go today, and if they can get NS to finally give in, sign the dotted line, and start the acquisition proceedings. So have fun shooting what could be one of the last true NS trains today. I'm not sure how to feel about working for the UP. I have a feeling with Harrison in charge a lot of good guys from NS will get chopped. Prayers would be appreciated for us employees no matter what the outcome.

I think it's total crap, but what are your opinions?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Caught the tail end of a UP OCS in Weber Canyon yesterday. Not saying they won't run two at the same time, but I'm thinking it is pretty unlikely.

So for the merger chances, I make absolutely no speculation.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

According to Trains Mag the merger is dead and it is unlikely there will be any proposed mergers in the near future.
Saturnalia wrote:So for the merger chances, I make absolutely no speculation.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Saturnalia wrote:Caught the tail end of a UP OCS in Weber Canyon yesterday. Not saying they won't run two at the same time, but I'm thinking it is pretty unlikely.
You would be thinking wrong....

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,4046831

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Typhoon wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:Caught the tail end of a UP OCS in Weber Canyon yesterday. Not saying they won't run two at the same time, but I'm thinking it is pretty unlikely.

Much like the posters in this thread who swore up and down and fought to the hill that NS would assuredly be taken over by CP and the foamers didn't know what they were talking about because the foamers don't know Ackerman and don't have inside info? Just to stay on topic.
Brett

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

bdconrail29 wrote: Ackerman
Bill Ackman

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

bdconrail29 wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Much like the posters in this thread who swore up and down and fought to the hill that NS would assuredly be taken over by CP and the foamers didn't know what they were talking about because the foamers don't know Ackerman and don't have inside info? Just to stay on topic.
If it makes you feel better, sure.

BTW, who is Ackerman?