MLW Locomotives and the tier 0 emissions standard

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

MLW Locomotives and the tier 0 emissions standard

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

With all the buzz about tier 4, It occurred to me that their is a standard for locomotives built after 1973 that will come into play. As I understand, all locomotives built after 1973 will have to be modified to tier 0+ if they get overhauled. While emd has an extensive Eco rebuild program, that leaves post 1973 GE and MLW locomotives without a program (to my knowledge) to meet tier 0+. Is there a rebuild kit for those designs? If not what will happen when roads with those units need to rebuild the units? The DLW system or the other NY roads that still have MLW diesels (obviously the rule doesn't apply to alco units) come to mind.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MLW Locomotives and the tier 0 emissions standard

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Tier 0+ is not the same as Eco's. The rule goes for everything, not just EMD's. There are ways to get around it, as defined by the definition of rebuild and its scope.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: MLW Locomotives and the tier 0 emissions standard

Unread post by SousaKerry »

The old Alco 251 engines are still being produced for use in power plants and marine uses in the developing world. I know there were companies marketing injector and microprocessor packages for these engines when tier 0 was first introduced. While these engines would obviously never meet tier 4, tier zero should not be hard to achieve with modern technology and engine management.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"