New EMD Tier 4 Locomotive on display

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

New EMD Tier 4 Locomotive on display

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So the new EMD Tier 4 SD70ACe-T4 has been officially revealed to the public today. Looks like a combination of the SD70ACe and an SD80MAC. I like the look but a lot of people don't care much for it. It is apparently powered by the same engine used in the SD90MAC's but has a redesigned crankshaft, lower RPM level (only 4400 HP), A V12 instead of a V16 and like GE is a four-stroke engine.

Here's a look in case you haven't seen it yet. Initial reactions/thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9w7Ac1 ... e=youtu.be
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: New EMD Tier 4 Locomotive on display

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like they attempted to address some of the issues crews are having. For those of us that like EMD it has been painful watching GE kick the snot out of them. I hope this engine gets them back on track .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:Looks like they attempted to address some of the issues crews are having. For those of us that like EMD it has been painful watching GE kick the snot out of them. I hope this engine gets them back on track .
I hope so too. I'm getting tired of seeing GE's all the time.

I'm curious as to how this EMD 4-stroke engine will sound versus the 2-stroke we are used to hearing.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

First thing it reminded of was Morrison Knudsen's MK5000C. Would like to see this be a successful venture for EMD.
Connor

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

cfriedri wrote:First thing it reminded of was Morrison Knudsen's MK5000C. Would like to see this be a successful venture for EMD.
You know your not the first person thar I've heard saw it looks like an MK locomotive. I guess I'm gonna have to look into the similarities.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
cfriedri wrote:First thing it reminded of was Morrison Knudsen's MK5000C. Would like to see this be a successful venture for EMD.
You know your not the first person thar I've heard saw it looks like an MK locomotive. I guess I'm gonna have to look into the similarities.
It's the tall blocky long good and radiators. Quite similar.

Then I think the cab looks pretty GE-ish.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Saturnalia wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
It's the tall blocky long good and radiators. Quite similar.

Then I think the cab looks pretty GE-ish.
I think the whole locomotive has a GE feel to it despite being EMD. A former GE employee working for EMD maybe?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Did you ever stop to think both the new GE and EMD Tier 4s share a boxy look because that's the ONLY way either company can cram all of that emissions junk under the hood?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Any info on orders yet, and who may be buying them?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

hoborich wrote:Any info on orders yet, and who may be buying them?
I can't confirm it, but I read somewhere that NS has placed and order for 25 of them.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:So the new EMD Tier 4 SD70ACe-T4 has been officially revealed to the public today.
Trees and grass look awfully green for that video to have been shot recently in east central Indiana. In actuality, that video is at least a week or two old, as the unit was shipped out under wrap to an Industry show to be unveiled.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

SD80MAC wrote:Did you ever stop to think both the new GE and EMD Tier 4s share a boxy look because that's the ONLY way either company can cram all of that emissions junk under the hood?
I think of the merging of appearance as going the other way. Ever since GE switched to the more angular roof line on the Dash 8 series, the GEs started to look like EMDs.

The hoods of road switcher type locomotives have not changed a whole lot over time. The hoods have gotten much larger and the radiator surface has been expanded to the outside to save space under the hood. edit: There is always an exception or two. In this instance the BL-2 and the GP30.