Another restored NS heritage unit.

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Another restored NS heritage unit.

Unread post by Bulby »

The original 20-645E3 did have issues with less than ideal crankshaft support for railroad applications. However, by the time the SD45-2 rolled out, the crankcase had already been modified to eliminate the problem. The Santa Fe held patents on modifications to the engine mounts on the original block design that supposedly solved the issues.

Many of the first generation 20-645E3 blocks built for stationary service are still in use with no issues, it was only in railroad service that they tended to have crankshaft issues.

Excessive vibration was the SD/GP50 where they tried to make a 645 turn at 950rpm.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:As I said ConrailMan it has always been an SD45-2 from the start. Its interesting to see this former EL SD45-2 still earning its keep while the one in St. Louis sits. I've seen that unit up close. It was donated by Conrail in the 80's (?) as a static unit. If I remember correctly one of the SD45's problem was excessive vibrations due to the 645 prime mover being maxed out, and this one vibrated to the point where it shoved the crankshaft through the block. That effectively ended its career, but ended up saving it for preservation. Correct me if I am wrong on any of this.
The one in St. Louis is a regular SD45 and has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:As I said ConrailMan it has always been an SD45-2 from the start. Its interesting to see this former EL SD45-2 still earning its keep while the one in St. Louis sits. I've seen that unit up close. It was donated by Conrail in the 80's (?) as a static unit. If I remember correctly one of the SD45's problem was excessive vibrations due to the 645 prime mover being maxed out, and this one vibrated to the point where it shoved the crankshaft through the block. That effectively ended its career, but ended up saving it for preservation. Correct me if I am wrong on any of this.
The one in St. Louis is a regular SD45 and has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
Yes but its fascinating to see how two locomotives that are nearly identical minus electrical and cosmetic components came from the same railroad and are surviving in two totally different environments.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Sigh. They are not very closely related 1223. The sd45-2 on NS is essentially an sd40-2 as I have said 3 times. That is one of the only reasons it is still
around. If it was still on its 20-645 un nodified I doubt it would have made it past the 1990's. While atsf and others found a remedy to the cracked block problem, it is still a fuel guzzler when you consider it puts out less hp than a gevo or ace. When you look at the 1966 line and the 1972 line there are so many improvements and differences. Electrical, cosmetic, performence. That is why you do not see hardly any straight sd40's, gp38's or anything from that emd catelog still in service on a class one unless it has been rebuilt to dash 2 or 3 specs. That is why there are sd45's in preservation. Because they are old and antiquated. When rebuilt they are relevant. I think B&P plus a handful of other shortlines still use the souls of sd45's albeit with de rated pre movers and rebuilt electrical. But again, nothing like the as delivered 1966 sd45 that one may find preserved.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The only reason 1700 is still around is because it has Dash 2 electronics and a 16 cylinder engine. A regular SD45 might as well be considered a GP9 compared to an engine with Dash 2 inards.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

SD80MAC wrote:A regular SD45 might as well be considered a GP9 compared to an engine with Dash 2 inards.
Um yeah, right. I watched WC run unmodified SD45s for years pulling very heavy trains over trackage that was anything but flat. Two SD45s or the awesome looking F45s could pull what would take 4 SD9s. No comparison.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Standard Railfan wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:A regular SD45 might as well be considered a GP9 compared to an engine with Dash 2 inards.
Um yeah, right. I watched WC run unmodified SD45s for years pulling very heavy trains over trackage that was anything but flat. Two SD45s or the awesome looking F45s could pull what would take 4 SD9s. No comparison.
I thought the Wisconsin Central SD45's were modified for maximum power output and fixed of the problems that other SD45's had in the past.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Standard Railfan wrote:
I'm pretty sure he was comparing technology, not pulling power
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

The WC SD45s, at least some of them, were derated to 3,000 horsepower and equipped with microprocessors. (For those that don't know, "-3" tech)

The SD45-2 and SD40-2 accelerate at the same rate, and can pull the same train. The SD45-2, however, can keep accelerating longer. The extra 600 horse isn't needed in the service that SD40 and SD45 and -2 variants are in now. That is why the SD45s are viewed as fuel guzzlers. On a horsepower per gallon basis, the 45 beats the 40
Apparently I work on GEs now...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:The WC SD45s, at least some of them, were derated to 3,000 horsepower and equipped with microprocessors. (For those that don't know, "-3" tech)

The SD45-2 and SD40-2 accelerate at the same rate, and can pull the same train. The SD45-2, however, can keep accelerating longer. The extra 600 horse isn't needed in the service that SD40 and SD45 and -2 variants are in now. That is why the SD45s are viewed as fuel guzzlers. On a horsepower per gallon basis, the 45 beats the 40
So it sounds like to me the SD45 and all of its versions are basically redundant today.