Another restored NS heritage unit.

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Another restored NS heritage unit.

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS has released ANOTHER restored unit, now in the form of Erie Lackawanna #1700, a restored SD45-2.
admin edit: link: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2015/09/30-el-ns
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Another restored NS heritage unit.

Unread post by Ypsi »

We get it old is new again... And again something for people to track and foam over.

https://www.facebook.com/norfolksouther ... 48/?type=3

Honestly I wish they started doing this and skipped the modern heritage units all together. I find these original paint schemes more interesting and less tacky.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

From the NS official Facebook page:

Pretty spiffy!!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ypsi wrote:We get it old is new again... And again something for people to track and foam over.

https://www.facebook.com/norfolksouther ... 48/?type=3

Honestly I wish they started doing this and skipped the modern heritage units all together. I find these original paint schemes more interesting and less tacky.
I agree, however NS made the old paimt schemes fit the new units versus UP making new paint schemes. Also some railroads couldn't be represented without the new units, like the Central of Georgia.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

So this is one of the ex CR ones NS got in the divorce right? Basically an sd40-2 in an sd45-2 carbody as I understand. Hopefully that does not mean NS plans on purging the SD45-2's from the fleet.

ON the note of tackiness and the 22 heritage units, maybe NS is realizing that now too. So they are repainting original units into heritage schemes. Obviously there are some schemes this doesn't work with (Virginian, Interstate, PRR Tuscan red) but it makes a lot more sense. Now another reason to do the ACe's instead of these specialized units is exposure. The Ace's and GEVO's roam, but these older units do not get out as much. I believe the SD45-2's are usually either on Conrail in Philadelphia or out and about on horseshoe curve. Ditto for the few remaining HH untis, which I understand are mostly in yard service now.
But oh wait, NS is a big bad corporation who has no reason to appreciate history. (just preparing for the naysayers :roll: )
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

ConrailMan5 wrote:So this is one of the ex CR ones NS got in the divorce right? Basically an sd40-2 in an sd45-2 carbody as I understand. Hopefully that does not mean NS plans on purging the SD45-2's from the fleet.

ON the note of tackiness and the 22 heritage units, maybe NS is realizing that now too. So they are repainting original units into heritage schemes. Obviously there are some schemes this doesn't work with (Virginian, Interstate, PRR Tuscan red) but it makes a lot more sense. Now another reason to do the ACe's instead of these specialized units is exposure. The Ace's and GEVO's roam, but these older units do not get out as much. I believe the SD45-2's are usually either on Conrail in Philadelphia or out and about on horseshoe curve. Ditto for the few remaining HH untis, which I understand are mostly in yard service now.
But oh wait, NS is a big bad corporation who has no reason to appreciate history. (just preparing for the naysayers :roll: )
This SD45-2 is one of a handful with the 645 prime mover that hasn't been modified l according to my research. It was built as it sits.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

I would like to see your source 1223...
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AltoonaWorks on FB, Norfolk Southern Corp on FB and RailroadPictureArchives.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

MQT1223 wrote:AltoonaWorks on FB, Norfolk Southern Corp on FB and RailroadPictureArchives.
Your source proves you wrong
http://www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/n ... _1700.html
-Kurt Vonnegut

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

ConrailMan5 wrote: I believe the SD45-2's are usually either on Conrail in Philadelphia or out and about on horseshoe curve.
The SD45-2's have not been part of the helper pool around Altoona for about 18 years now. After many years captive in that service, they were released to roam systemwide before the breakup. The helper units are now SD40E's, rebuilt SD50 units.

As silly as the idea is to have these units around South Jersey, if it has helped them stay on the roster longer, that's great. It's fantastic NS has kept theirs active.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

cr6903 wrote:
ConrailMan5 wrote: I believe the SD45-2's are usually either on Conrail in Philadelphia or out and about on horseshoe curve.
The SD45-2's have not been part of the helper pool around Altoona for about 18 years now. After many years captive in that service, they were released to roam systemwide before the breakup. The helper units are now SD40E's, rebuilt SD50 units.

As silly as the idea is to have these units around South Jersey, if it has helped them stay on the roster longer, that's great. It's fantastic NS has kept theirs active.
Yeah my info was a little dated there :oops:
but they are assigned to conrail in New Jersey (and philly sometimes), that I know I current
-Kurt Vonnegut

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Back in the 90s the CN leased about a half dozen of them for the GTW I have pictures in 1996 and early 1997 of them in Durand and Flint. I even got one at Gibbon Jct Nebraska on a UP eastbound back in 1998 what a shock that was.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

So did this unit ever have the flared radiators of SD-45 fame or did NS replace them at some point?
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

SousaKerry wrote:So did this unit ever have the flared radiators of SD-45 fame or did NS replace them at some point?
The -2s never came with flared radiators.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

SousaKerry wrote:So did this unit ever have the flared radiators of SD-45 fame or did NS replace them at some point?
It is not a rebuilt sd45, it is the second generation sd45 that was catalogued as the sd45-2 (similarily to the sd40 of 1966 and sd40-2 of 1972(?)) I believe the flared radiators were eliminated as a result of improvements to the cooling system.
-Kurt Vonnegut

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Here it is as Conrail 6654, shortly after being patched in 1977.

As was previously stated, SD45-2s did not have flared radiators like the older SD45s.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

For comparison sake, and Erie Lackawanna sd45
By metracab123 on Flickr
Attachments
image.jpg
-Kurt Vonnegut

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

The flared radiator, trademark of the SD45, was one of the problems of the design of that particular model. If you look at older photos of EL SD45's and SDP45's, it is apparent there was leakage-the carbody usually ended up stained under the radiator section. It wasn't an EL problem, but the gray tended to show it very well. PC SD45's often had a stained logo under the radiators as well. Both PC and EL units likely also suffered from a bit of deferred maintenance which couldn't have helped. The redesign on the dash two eliminated the flared radiator, but by then most roads shied away from the fuel hungry 20 cylinder plant. The only buyers of the dash two 45's were Santa Fe, Clinchfield, Seaboard Coast Line, and the Erie Lackawanna in normal engines (albeit the EL's had a special modification) and Southern Pacific/Cotton Belt in the tunnel motor version.

An interesting footnote to the SD45 story: in November 1973, at Windham, Ohio an EL van train was involved in a vandalism accident (spur track switch opened on the main, train ran up the spur at 40+mph) with SDP45's 3657 and 3667. Both units were extensively damaged and went to the EL's Hornell, NY shop. With kits supplied by EMD, they were rebuilt. Mechanically, still SDP45's, but with SD45-2 hoods. Many mislabeled photos can be found of these two units (Both as 3657 and 3667, as well as their Conrail numbers 6688 and 6698) identifying them as SD45-2's, even though they had normal looking fuel tanks and flexicoil trucks, as opposed to the actual SD45-2's with Fuel tanks running up to the sills, air vents in the rear of the hood and HTC trucks. Caused a lot of confusion for the railfans of the time.
One of the two (I am unsure as to which one) is still in operation on the Montana Rail Link. As far as I know, it is the last operating EL SDP45 still working.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

As I said ConrailMan it has always been an SD45-2 from the start. Its interesting to see this former EL SD45-2 still earning its keep while the one in St. Louis sits. I've seen that unit up close. It was donated by Conrail in the 80's (?) as a static unit. If I remember correctly one of the SD45's problem was excessive vibrations due to the 645 prime mover being maxed out, and this one vibrated to the point where it shoved the crankshaft through the block. That effectively ended its career, but ended up saving it for preservation. Correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

MQT1223 wrote:As I said ConrailMan it has always been an SD45-2 from the start. Its interesting to see this former EL SD45-2 still earning its keep while the one in St. Louis sits. I've seen that unit up close. It was donated by Conrail in the 80's (?) as a static unit. If I remember correctly one of the SD45's problem was excessive vibrations due to the 645 prime mover being maxed out, and this one vibrated to the point where it shoved the crankshaft through the block. That effectively ended its career, but ended up saving it for preservation. Correct me if I am wrong on any of this.
Rebuilt to sd40-2 specs on the 1700. It was an sd45-2, now it is an sd40-2 with an sd45-2 car body.the one in st.louis that I pictured is an sd45, not sd45-2. There is a distinct difference as noted in the posts made by sd80mac and I.
The only reason the sd45-2's are stil around on NS is because they are basically sd40-2's. I believe BNSF has a similar deal with theirs except they are reported differently.
On NS, 1700-1702 have 16-645's, 1703-1705 have derated 20-645's if you would read your own resource carefully. They have the same output as an sd40-2.
-Kurt Vonnegut