Harper's Ferry, WV

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Harper's Ferry, WV

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Hello gang,

I will be passing through Harper's Ferry twice next week and looked on Google Maps. I noticed that in addition to the two historic bridges that cross at the confluence of the rivers, there are ruins of two other bridges at that site (only abutments remain) and was wondering if anyone knew what those were for. I can't find any reliable info on Google. Thanks!
Brett

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Harper's Ferry, WV

Unread post by Saturnalia »

At least one is an outmode from the newer ones. Also, the existing single-tracked bridge is the outmode for the new double-track. That improvement lessened the curve and widened the tunnel.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I was Harper's Ferry for a night a few years ago. The depot is a nice place to railfan, sort of a classic railroading scene steeped in history. It's a beautiful place to catch the daily Capitol Limited, eastbound in the AM and westbound in the early evening. I've been through Harper's Ferry a few times since, but only as a passenger! The CSX traffic is decent, too.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to it.

I found what the other bridge was (runs perpendicular to the current tracks). It was an early B&O line but when abandoned became a high way bridge. It was washed away in 1936 and never rebuilt.
Brett