AA - New Paint

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: AA - New Paint

Unread post by Ypsi »

Yes and no. You could say an "AA themed unit wouldn't have to do with WATCO because its just paint".. but then again it does because they own the AA. But its never going to happen, and it should never happen. That's just not a great idea in terms of building a cooperate identity as a railroad of that size. shippers would possibly wonder why they are shipping via the Ann Arbor Railroad or even call up the AA rather then the GLC if you have a AA themed unit.. just not something a railroad of that size should do or be worried about.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I'm willing to bet the AA owns the rights to the logo. AKA GLC would have no claim to it.

That beside the fact a GLC Annie heritage unit makes no sense from the aforementioned reasons as well.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

It would make more sense for the LSRC to have a D&M heritage unit before GLC has the rights to do an AA unit.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

MQT1223 wrote:Why does it have to be a deal with Watco because of the name?
Basically Watco owns the rights over the AA branding.

NYC3001
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYC3001 »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Y@ wrote:I had heard rumor from inside Watco awhile back that the AA would be getting a makeover and that "heritage" would be kept in mind. Could have just been talk, or could actually be coming to fruition... We'll see.
Bring on the Blue/White/Grey scheme! (Not gonna happen) :(
I wish this was the case. However, I think its wishing thinking at best. Come to think of it, I would also settle for a solid blue Wabash RR. paint scheme.
Yours truly,

Ron
"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

iKJames wrote:
Ypsi wrote:I'm hoping while AA is in the power crunch (a couple SB facing units are down from what I've heard) that that unit makes one trip north. Would be nice to see orange in the city of Ann Arbor again.
Already asked, and it's not going to happen.

Will this unit be stuck in yard service because of the paint scheme it wears? Only thing that identifies it as a Watco engine is the reporting marks on the nose, like it was said in regards to an AA heritage unit on the GLC any regular shipper wouldn't be sure if they were shipping with a Watco-owned Ann Arbor or something else.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

MQT1223 wrote:Will this unit be stuck in yard service because of the paint scheme it wears?
Indeed.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I would doubt that the Ann Arbor name is either registered or trademarked.
iKJames wrote:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MSchwiebert wrote:I would doubt that the Ann Arbor name is either registered or trademarked.
iKJames wrote:
Would it make a difference considering the fact that the Ann Arbor that went into Conrail in 76 and the Ann Arbor that Watco owns are in fact to totally separate companies that utilize the same name?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)