DIANN jct

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
JustinB
Railroadfan...fan

DIANN jct

Unread post by JustinB »

What are the best times to catch some action at DIANN

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: DIANN jct

Unread post by redside20 »

JustinB wrote:What are the best times to catch some action at DIANN
Pretty erratic throughout the day I'd say. If I were you, I'd go get some camping gear at Cabelas in nearby Dundee and pitch a tent in the adjacent woods near the diamond that's if you can get away with it. :D :D If you don't get the cops called on you by the local farmers for trespassing, you'll find that CN trains 384/385 run daily as they use the se connection from the Ann Arbor to the Flat Rock Sub and vice versa. 385 is usually a morning train through here because it's usually in Bellevue by noon. I believe 384 runs in the early morning hours. Also the chance of the seeing an Ann Arbor is pretty good and they run day or night as required. The I&0 runs three times a week and back from Flat Rock. Don't know about unit trains but the Ann Arbor does see the grain movements which can run at anytime. No idea if the IORY see any grain movement unless they start hauling wheat to that grain mill down near Cincy.
Exit stage left

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I haven't lived in the area for a few years now, but this sounds accurate. Daily CN each way via the SE quadrant connector, the AA runs a roundtrip almost daily plus occasional unit train extras, and the I&O runs about 3 days a week, although which three days isn't always regular. CN usually runs during the day, northbound Annie is often in the evening, and I&O is usually daylight as well. If you go, let us know what you see!

Nathan

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Eric Berger »

Sounds about right. Seems like they have one that heads north through Carleton about 1000 or so; I usually hear him if I'm working in the area. I&O, it seems like, runs in the early afternoon when it comes.

Sure a far cry from previous years, where if you sat in Carleton for a couple of hours, you were guaranteed at least ONE movement on the CN tracks. Now, I very seldom see anything along there; almost all the action's on the CSX line.
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

redside20

Does anybody know the traffic levels that GT ran in the late 80s and most of the 90's on the Flat Rock Sub at Diann. And which Edison Plant were those coal trains shipped too in Michigan?
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:Does anybody know the traffic levels that GT ran in the late 80s and most of the 90's on the Flat Rock Sub at Diann. And which Edison Plant were those coal trains shipped too in Michigan?
Midland knows but I don't know if he checks anything other than the Ohio group.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'm not certain what GT ran north of Diann back in the '80's & '90''s but south of there normally 6 trains a day, the NS run through train (1 in each direction), the piggyback train (1 in each direction) and the GT freight (1 in each direction).

Frankly I'm surprised that CN still runs anything that way, especially with having the former Shore Line, unless either Detroit operations make that difficult for the train in question, or there's a contractual obligation to use the Ann Arbor that dates from the DT&I days.

I was up there a few weeks ago, and after braving the unpaved roads of the immediate area, I noticed that there were 3 covered hoppers for interchange - surely an obscure routing if there ever was one.
redside20 wrote:Does anybody know the traffic levels that GT ran in the late 80s and most of the 90's on the Flat Rock Sub at Diann. And which Edison Plant were those coal trains shipped too in Michigan?

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

These days the CN operates trains 384 & 385 between Port Huron & Bellevue. They work at Flat Rock and run down the AA from Diann to Alexis & then NS (ex CR) to Oak Harbor and then ex W&LE to Bellevue.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Fred wrote:These days the CN operates trains 384 & 385 between Port Huron & Bellevue. They work at Flat Rock and run down the AA from Diann to Alexis & then NS (ex CR) to Oak Harbor and then ex W&LE to Bellevue.
Does that train do all of CN's interchange with the W&LE??
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JStryker722 wrote:
Fred wrote:These days the CN operates trains 384 & 385 between Port Huron & Bellevue. They work at Flat Rock and run down the AA from Diann to Alexis & then NS (ex CR) to Oak Harbor and then ex W&LE to Bellevue.
I think W&LE interchanges with CN in Lang Yard. At least I've seen W&LE engines in Lang Yard so I'm guessing that's where they exchange cars. W&LE/CN take coke trains to Rouge part of the time (Rouge gets their coke from several other sources/different railroad routings).

If I'm correct cars for W&LE would arrive on the Toronto-Toledo train and the Toledo-Flat Rock turn.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

I was wondering if the other pair of Toledo-Toronto trains 382-383 perform work at Lang Yard on their way to and from Stanley Yard. I do believe Wheeling trains are built here from a CN local but does it come from Flat Rock? There was a L506 and a 246 that ran up the Annie to Diann and went to Flat Rock that way.
Exit stage left