Scanner Help

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Scanner Help

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

I live down in a "valley" that really cuts down the range of my scanner. The most obvious solution is to get an antenna up on my house, I was wondering if anyone else might have some ideas.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: Scanner Help

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Not alot you can do short of moving to higher ground. Have you checked to see if there is a web feed that covered the RR's in your area?
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Besides your mention of an antenna up on the house, preferably on some sort of tower that puts it higher than the nearby ridge/mountain, you could try to get a contact with someone that lives out of the valley, and see about putting up your own online streaming RR feed. Pay for the computer and scanner at the location...maybe offer to help $20 towards their internet bill or something as it does use a little bit of bandwidth(very little).
As Trnwatcher mentioned, see if anyone else in the area has an online feed to listen to.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

A higher gain antenna, even used indoors, will make a huge difference in what you can hear. Until I put an antenna on my chimney I used an outdoor discone antenna inside my house. Changing from the small metal telescoping antenna to that added at least fifteen miles to my range.