Portable Scanner Q's

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Portable Scanner Q's

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I was thinking about purchasing a portable scanner so I don't have to rely on my phone (and my data plan) for scanner feed, However, I do not know where to start when it comes to what you would want or watch out for in a scanner. I know you can purchase them at most electronic stores such as RadioShack, but I am no expert at this so I was hoping people that do use them that are on this board could maybe share some helpful info on scanners.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Re: Portable Scanner Q's

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Uniden bearcat twin turbo (?) worked like a champ for me. Plentiful on the secondary market, so check eBay if you're looking to save money. Once the bearcat crapped out, Got the radio shack equivalent at an estate sale in a lot for $10 bucks. Runs off double A or DC 12V. Decent range, esoecially if attached to a whip.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I'd guess a good, affordable scanner for you would be the Uniden Bearcat BC95XLT. I've owned several over the years and they work just fine. The last one I purchased online was under $100, but it looks like you might pay just a little bit more than that.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ ... /4195.html

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Un ... oduct.html

Or check ebay...I'm sure they are cheaper there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Amazon sells Bearcat scanners and even appears to have a Uniden "store". The Uniden BC125AT offers a lot of bang for the buck. Alpha numeric display, big BIG audio for a handheld and has the railroad channels pre-programmed.

(Amazon.com link) http://tinyurl.com/oggr28p

I'm not sure why that page lists the BC75XLT as being a "newer model of this item" because it's more of a little brother to the BC125AT.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Do some research into what a scanner can do (I'd use Google, not this site). Depending on your interest area, there's a lot more than railroads to use the scanner for. Once you have a clear idea of what you will and won't be able to pick up on your scanner, make a list of the frequencies you want your scanner to be able to pick up. Kind of like a givens and druthers list (look up John Allen's layout design methods on line if the term doesn't make sense), and prioritize the things you absolutely want and the things that you think you could live without. Then look at the various models you think might be options and determine which ones can pick up all the frequencies you want/might want to listen to.

Keep in mind how many AAR frequencies there are. It's a real pain to reprogram the scanner when you take a trip if the active frequencies aren't the ones you normally listen to, IF your scanner has limited programming space. IIRC, my first scanner could store up to 200 frequencies. I put all 97 or so AAR channels into it, plus a few local fire/police/etc. frequencies. Especially in not-so-nice weather, the police channels can be really interesting to listen to, and you'll get a better picture of what's going on than the local rag (newspaper) will publish. If the local police/fire/paramedic frequencies are trunked, and you want to listen to them, you'll want a scanner that can handle trunking. With the move to digital radios on the railroad (and other fields), you might want to stick to a newer scanner, as some of the older scanners have a harder time picking up everything.

Also, when you think you're ready to buy, check out how the scanner can be programmed. Can it be done via computer (and what do you need to do so?) or is it hand programming only? What do people who have purchased the scanner have to say about it (online reviews can be really helpful, especially if non-railfans have the same scanner).

I'd recommend you look at something that can store at least a couple hundred frequencies, if not several thousand. And remember this is an investment- most of us don't run out and buy new scanners every year or two. We keep 'em until they're obsolete or they die. Get something that will pick up everything you want to listen to- not just railroads. You'll likely wind up using the scanner for more than just listening to the trains. Don't be afraid to do the research- make sure you're really getting the scanner that has the right capabilities for you.
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

cbehr91 wrote:Amazon sells Bearcat scanners and even appears to have a Uniden "store". The Uniden BC125AT offers a lot of bang for the buck. Alpha numeric display, big BIG audio for a handheld and has the railroad channels pre-programmed.

(Amazon.com link) http://tinyurl.com/oggr28p
This is what I have, and even with the stock antenna it gets quite good range. Someday I'll get me a nice car-mounted antenna...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote: I'd recommend you look at something that can store at least a couple hundred frequencies, if not several thousand. And remember this is an investment- most of us don't run out and buy new scanners every year or two. We keep 'em until they're obsolete or they die.
Investment? :lol: I have bought three in the last 8 years. :cry: But when they are a hundred bucks a piece, three over that amount of time is not a big deal.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote: I'd recommend you look at something that can store at least a couple hundred frequencies, if not several thousand. And remember this is an investment- most of us don't run out and buy new scanners every year or two. We keep 'em until they're obsolete or they die.
[/quote]
Several thousand? For railroad scanning and fanning honestly you could get away with 100 frequencies, no reason you can't save a couple bucks and reprogram if you fill up 100 spaces. I think the most we have ever covered is like 30-40, and that will basically get us from Detroit to St. Paul and about ever class 1 in-between. Additionally you don't necessarily need a super long range for scanning, obviously it is neat to hear a train 10-20 miles away, but if your trackside a range of 5-10 miles works normally. Not saying that having that many frequencies is bad, and neither is range, but you can get a used scanner that will work for the next 3-5 years for under $50 on eBay or at a local pawn shop.

I also guess we break that rul because we have had like 4 scanners in just as many years :lol: One died after a battery issue, and then we bought one for the house, and two for cars. The first two were free, and it was like $20 or so for the one we use at home, the forth was also free.. Which reminds me don't forget to ask your relatives as they may have one that has been shelved. That's where we got our two portables, our uncle had them from his firefighting days and didn't need them anymore.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Do some research into what a scanner can do (I'd use Google, not this site). Depending on your interest area, there's a lot more than railroads to use the scanner for. Once you have a clear idea of what you will and won't be able to pick up on your scanner, make a list of the frequencies you want your scanner to be able to pick up. Kind of like a givens and druthers list (look up John Allen's layout design methods on line if the term doesn't make sense), and prioritize the things you absolutely want and the things that you think you could live without. Then look at the various models you think might be options and determine which ones can pick up all the frequencies you want/might want to listen to.

Keep in mind how many AAR frequencies there are. It's a real pain to reprogram the scanner when you take a trip if the active frequencies aren't the ones you normally listen to, IF your scanner has limited programming space. IIRC, my first scanner could store up to 200 frequencies. I put all 97 or so AAR channels into it, plus a few local fire/police/etc. frequencies. Especially in not-so-nice weather, the police channels can be really interesting to listen to, and you'll get a better picture of what's going on than the local rag (newspaper) will publish. If the local police/fire/paramedic frequencies are trunked, and you want to listen to them, you'll want a scanner that can handle trunking. With the move to digital radios on the railroad (and other fields), you might want to stick to a newer scanner, as some of the older scanners have a harder time picking up everything.

Also, when you think you're ready to buy, check out how the scanner can be programmed. Can it be done via computer (and what do you need to do so?) or is it hand programming only? What do people who have purchased the scanner have to say about it (online reviews can be really helpful, especially if non-railfans have the same scanner).

I'd recommend you look at something that can store at least a couple hundred frequencies, if not several thousand. And remember this is an investment- most of us don't run out and buy new scanners every year or two. We keep 'em until they're obsolete or they die. Get something that will pick up everything you want to listen to- not just railroads. You'll likely wind up using the scanner for more than just listening to the trains. Don't be afraid to do the research- make sure you're really getting the scanner that has the right capabilities for you.
Clearly I am going to need more help at this because I am seeing some very interesting stuff here. Sure my primary focus will be trains but other things are neat to listen to. Been a while since I have felt totally clueless on something that a lot of people use.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

J T wrote:
Investment? :lol: I have bought three in the last 8 years. :cry: But when they are a hundred bucks a piece, three over that amount of time is not a big deal.
Past 5 years, 3 scanners plus a CB I don't use, $30 "investment". :D
They are really basic, and work well. Don't necessarily need to make a huge investment. Bought a radio shack 20-404 for $20, spliced in a 12V cigarette lighter chord. Put it In my car and bam "portable". Coupled to my 10 dollar handset, I'm all set. Basic? Yes. Effective? You bet. Now if you want new or digital or all those bells and whistles, then you pay the big bucks. Otherwise, it's all about looking for a good deal on the secondary market.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I've owned 4 scanners in the last 30 years and still have 3 of them. An old Bearcat desktop, a 100 channel Bearcat BC110and Bearcat BC220XLT that is my everyday scanner. The advantage of the 220XLT is that is hold 200 channels so I have banks programmed for GR, Detroit area, NW Indiana, etc. It also has separate aviation, marine and service bands so I don’t have to keep the KCIA freqs in one of the 10 banks of 20 channels.

I usually buy direct from Uniden off their website. Their refurbished items (some) come with the same warranty as the new scanners for anywhere 20-50% off retail. Their customer service\repair service is great as I had to send the desktop back once for a bad board.

The drawback to scanners is that as comms move into the digital age the scanner just don’t pick up like their digital counterparts. They are also much more susceptible to "birdies" or interference. If you want really good, clear reception use a Yaesu scanner\ham radio. The drawback here it that an intro model will set you back $200.00+ where an intro Uniden scanner is less than $100.00.

Your choice of antenna is almost as important as your scanner. I found that out after spending 100’s of dollars on antennas over the years. Best bet it to go to a truck stop that sells CB antennas (or you get them off the net) and get one with a single stage mast that is at least 39.5 inches long. Cut it to 39.37 inches (for full meter) measured from where the antenna will be grounded. You can also use ½ of this length for ½ meter or ¼ length for ¼ meter antenna. The drawback is that the shorter the antenna the less distance you can receive. Don’t worry about all the chatter on the net about “matching the antenna” as that is more important if you are transmitting.

I have a ½ wave antenna in my Explorer and get about a 7 mile radius with this antenna. My full wave antenna on my Jag gets about 14 mile radius but is a lot more directional as it is mounted on the hood and near the center of the vehicle as my Explorer’s antenna is.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Remember, scanners can "search" a bank of frequencies too without having you to program them in.

I no longer offer antenna suggestions. Different setups work for different people and people's perceptions of ideal reception are so vastly different, everybody's set up is the best to them.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

trnwatcher wrote:
I have a ½ wave antenna in my Explorer and get about a 7 mile radius with this antenna. My full wave antenna on my Jag gets about 14 mile radius but is a lot more directional as it is mounted on the hood and near the center of the vehicle as my Explorer’s antenna is.
7 mile radius? That's terrible.

1/2 and full wave are really uncommon wavelengths. I've only ever used 1/4 and 5/8 waves and the difference between the two is rather negligible. If your set up works for you, that's great, but I'm more apt to use what's accepted by the industry.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

J T wrote: Investment? :lol: I have bought three in the last 8 years. :cry: But when they are a hundred bucks a piece, three over that amount of time is not a big deal.
The OP is, what?, 18? 19? years old, in college and has relatively limited funds, right? When you're that age, you don't have a hundred bucks to blow on a scanner every year or two, there are other things to spend your money on. I bought my first scanners on eBay when I was in college, one was a Bearcat 10 channel piece of junk (it never did work), the other 200 channel Radio Shack scanner that took all kinds of use and abuse before dying. I replaced it with a RS scanner a few years ago that can handle trunking, and has at least 1,000 programmable slots. I use less than 200 because I don't understand trunking or how to set it up on the scanner. But it works pretty well for trains, ships and fire/EMS, which is what I bought it for.

Once upon a time, I wanted to get an Icom for doing ATCS in the car, without the internet, but it never really panned out. The then-$500+ price tag was way too steep for my budget. Still is, but it would've been pretty neat.
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote: The OP is, what?, 18? 19? years old, in college and has relatively limited funds, right?
Hence my suggestion for him to buy a cheap, $100 scanner as opposed to several hundred that would actually be considered an "investment." And hence my suggestion for him to check ebay. :P

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote: The OP is, what?, 18? 19? years old, in college and has relatively limited funds, right?
Hence my suggestion for him to buy a cheap, $100 scanner as opposed to several hundred that would actually be considered an "investment." And hence my suggestion for him to check ebay. :P
Oh believe me I will be on Ebay once I find out more about this stuff. I got a buddy that's big into radio stuff like this he will be of a great help to me.