Grand Ledge MI feed

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Grand Ledge MI feed

Unread post by ~Z~ »

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/18777
Just stumbled across this railroad feed at MP 99 near Grand Ledge. 45' up in the air and supposedly gets Webberville to Woodbury on CSX. Also gets Charlotte to Haslett on CN. Here is the description:

CSX 160.23, 161.37 & 160.32, CN 160.59, 161.22 & 160.845. Currently using a Kenwood TK-705D as the receiver connected to a wide band omnidirectional antenna fed with LMR600. The antenna is at approximately 45' above ground level near MP 99 on the CSX Plymouth Sub. Of course subject to propagation the CSX can be heard from Woodbury to Willimston which includes the hotbox detectors at 79.9 & 104.3. Also covered is Ensel Yard, Trowbridge Siding and the Grand Ledge Siding. CN from Haslett to Charlotte including the hotbox detectors at 206.3, 219.5 & 232. Yards covered include Snow & Cory as well as the Delta Siding.

Appears to be a fairly new feed, ran by this guy: http://www.lansingarpsc.com/user/97
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grand Ledge MI feed

Unread post by KC8RBK »

This is my feed. I was having a little issue losing connection to the server but I think I've got that cleared up now. On nights we're having band openings I have been hearing CSX dispatching trains around Garrett. The DD at 232 and 79.9 have been a rough copy lately but I'm trying to figure something out for that. I've also heard the DD at 126 on a semi regular basis but not something I'd count on.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ah, so we can applaud the work to the owner! Fantastic having this one up now. Makes it so much easier to catch stuff out the east end. Previously, it was a rush to get east once Q335 or whomever released their EC1. Now, I can know exactly where they are from Trowbridge, coupling things with Zack's feed.

So we now have Trowbridge to Zeeland reliably 8)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

KC8RBK wrote:This is my feed. I was having a little issue losing connection to the server but I think I've got that cleared up now. On nights we're having band openings I have been hearing CSX dispatching trains around Garrett. The DD at 232 and 79.9 have been a rough copy lately but I'm trying to figure something out for that. I've also heard the DD at 126 on a semi regular basis but not something I'd count on.
Nice! Thank you.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

Yesterday I installed two 4 element yagi antennas at about 40'. One is beaming across Ensel Yard towards the DD at 232 on CN. The other down the Plymouth Sub in hopes of hearing the 79.9. I heard the 232 last night although its still a little rough. This morning I heard 335 calling signals for at least an hour before he went by my house. Once I got up I heard him in Webberville so we should be hearing farther east than that. The 79.9 came in pretty clear. As I'm typing I hear 335 calling Woodbury so either there's a little band enhancement going on or the beams are helping off the back side too. Hopefully if the former is the case once it's gone we can still hear the two DD'd clearly. Happy railfanning. 8)

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Thanks for doing this. I've been using it quite a bit in the overnights. With the windows open, I can hear CSX going through Lansing, and it's nice to catch the train IDs.

Something in the atmosphere tonight (June 6/7) as I'm definitely hearing NW Ohio stuff.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

Here is a web site some of you might find useful/interesting. It gives a real time depiction of where radio signals are flowing outside the normal travel. Last night there was a large band opening to the south east represented by a large red blob.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

fyi for anyone who listens to my feed... I bought a house near 204 on CN. The feed may be down for a day or three while I move the equipment. Reception will be degraded for the time being. As time, money and weather allows I will change and add to the new installation to optimize reception of both csx and cn. Happy monitoring :)

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Thanks for the update, and thanks for the feed. It is usefull for me out here in Woodbury. I was in the planning stages of putting my own feed up in Woodbury but I figured It would be redundant after yours was discovered.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

So after a year of an extremely modest antenna arrangement here at the new house I upgraded a little on Christmas. The antenna is only up about 20' right now but it made a world of difference from where it was a week ago. On CN the 206.3 has always come in very clear. It's a mile away, I can almost hear it without a radio :lol: after moving the antenna 219.5 is also clear as day. The CN trains have been calling signals lately and I can hear them from 195 to at least the Amtrak station. On CSX I can clearly hear the 104.3 and trains from Ensel to the 108 (stream was interrupted by a phone call). I heard 707 tonight talking with the RN from Lake O although they were a little rough. So far I haven't heard anything going east from the yard to try to follow them on the feed. If anyone hears more than I have I'd love to hear about it. Hopefully next spring I can put some more of this tower to use and get it up a little further. Who knows what might be heard, oh the possibilities. I hope my feed will be a little more helpful now. Happy monitoring :wink:

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Thanks for the updates and work on your antenna KC8RBK, it's appreciated.
I donated my radio to Amtrak1007's project, and just yesterday, started serving up Grand Rapids area shortlines like GDLK, MQT, and GRE, as well as CSX Dispatcher east of GR on 160.320. Listening in this morning, can hear dispatcher chatting with MOW at Sunfield. Linky here: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/24338

Road channel for CSX is located here: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/22783
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Combining this feed with the SuperScanner, we now have coverage as Far East at the GRL feed goes to St Joseph or more...impressive.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow