Another rather interesting NS engine.

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Another rather interesting NS engine.

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

NS just revealed their new publicly funded, emissions-friendly locomotive:

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en ... locom.html

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Another rather interesting NS engine.

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Article from NS could have stated how the GP33ECO is an emissions-friendly locomotive...
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

~Z~ wrote:Article from NS could have stated how the GP33ECO is an emissions-friendly locomotive...
They took a 35 year old tier-0 GP50 and dropped a tier 3 EMD ECO engine and auto start/stop to save fuel. The new micro processors are more refined then the original electronics it came with and can better control fuel consumption. The larger radiators help somehow too. That's everything I can see at first glance. Here are some specs to look at:
http://www.nsdash9.com/rosters/4700.html

4700 is assigned to and partially funded by Illinois.
4715 is same by Georgia.

They are rebuilding 30 of them... I'll have more when I put up my next update tomorrow.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Hopefully they are more reliable than the NRE Gensh!t locomotives. The reason the Gensets are so environmentally friendly is because they're always shut down in a shop waiting on repairs.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Hey someone finally found something to do with all those SD45 flaired radiator hoods sitting out back in on the dead line for the last 25 years, ever since the WC went belly up.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

SousaKerry wrote:Hey someone finally found something to do with all those SD45 flaired radiator hoods sitting out back in on the dead line for the last 25 years, ever since the WC went belly up.
WC was bought in 2004... so only 11 years. These are new radiators anyways but it'd be cool if they were the real thing. :wink:
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

WC was bought in 2004... so only 11 years. These are new radiators anyways but it'd be cool if they were the real thing. :wink:
I know I was just trying to be silly. I always liked the flaired radiator sections on SD-45's it gave an interesting change of pace in the late 80's to the endless streams of look alike EMD's. Although never knowing what color paint you would see next was much more interesting then today.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

CSX_CO wrote:Hopefully they are more reliable than the NRE Gensh!t locomotives. The reason the Gensets are so environmentally friendly is because they're always shut down in a shop waiting on repairs.
Better tell that to the boys at Rougemere, Russ. 1300-1303 are always working their behinds off either in yard service or down on the line to the old Boat Yard. But, I like the sound of a prime mover, they are too quiet.