Video tips

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
MiTrainsDX
Railroadfan...fan

Video tips

Unread post by MiTrainsDX »

Starting a thread on video tips. Feel free to add, comment, criticize, whatever...

Tip 1: Use a tripod, the more solid the better. I reccommend Manfrotto.

Tip 2: If you can, fit a sock over your camera's microphone- this will cut down on "wind noise"

What other tips can we all think of? Please comment and add to the discussion! :-)

MitchJ

Benchedthatpiece
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Video tips

Unread post by Benchedthatpiece »

Less talking during the video. When I say talking I'm talking about anything other than what's related to the train being filmed.

Shorten the video. I've seen so many videos that I have to fast forward through two or three minutes waiting for a train to finally appear. I try to leave only five seconds at most between the start of the video and the train coming into view. That's just enough time in case I want to insert engine numbers or something and allow for a transition....

Jay

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Don't fart with the camera rolling, someone WILL recognize the sound!

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

If you put it online...

A) No music, PERIOD.
B) No intro more then 5 seconds.

Those two things make me close it out, no matter what it is. I am looking to watch a RR video, not a music video, not a 2 minute introduction for a 3 minute video.

And Tripod and dont move the camera.. let the train go by..

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Do we need to start the whole train vs just part of it debate? :evil:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:Do we need to start the whole train vs just part of it debate? :evil:
It's not that fun to be into watching something go by and have it vanish all of a sudden... It's better to leave it in and let people skip what they don't want to see. But that's all just preference.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Righto, but for long intermodals/ coal train/ autorack trains/ ect generally it's ok to skip them.. You also have to account it takes a bit of time to upload longer videos and effort to edit and what not.

Personally I would say tripod, not only to improve quality, but allow you to actually watch the train. I noticed that using a tripod allows me to look around and notice things about the train I wouldn't, like markings on locomotives, interesting cars and what not. Other then that I say whatever makes you happy go for it. unless you're making money on this stuff (very few railfans can make decent money for videos, but there are success stories out there), it doesn't matter what others think. I post my videos because I like to share what I saw and what not.. If you don't like it I don't care (I used to but I got over it). It's also nice to take the effort and have it go at least somewhere for people to see.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

ns8401 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Do we need to start the whole train vs just part of it debate? :evil:
It's not that fun to be into watching something go by and have it vanish all of a sudden... It's better to leave it in and let people skip what they don't want to see. But that's all just preference.
There are some who swear by one way or another.

If find myself enjoying the full thing assuming it is a decent speed. If it is a stand-alone or going fast (not more than a minute or two to pass), I will put it all in. But in larger productions, I will cut it after 30 second or so...since while "waiting" for the train to clear, one tends to be looking at that suggestions and then abandons the video!

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I've always tended towards this rule of thumb.....if you can't read the car numbers\name then it's ok to "crop" for time. It you are zoomed back enough to see the car names\numbers then let the consist play out. Some people are way more into rolling stock than the head end power.
I try to shoot from a tripod or window mount for most videos i shoot. If you are going to hand hold your camera here's a couple of things to watch for....(I was told most of these by a professional TV cameraman)
1) Look at the ground you will be standing on before you start shooting. Nowing what you might be stepping on will help you keep balance. Balance is key when shooting by hand.
2) dont lock your knees....again it will help with balance and you wont tend to "sway".
3) dont talk while shooting
4) watch your breathing....even normal breathing can be picked up by sensitive microphones.
5) shoot test footage before going trackside. like anything else practice make perfect.
6) try to have a spotter. someone that can tap your shoulder and point to things that you might not be seeing through the view finder.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

1. Please don't shoot video in portrait mode.

2. Limited the use of the zoom while filming.

3. Keep your editing tight. If nothing is moving, 4-5 seconds is a pretty long shot.

3. Your editing software comes with a whole bunch of transitions. Most of them make your video look like it was edited by a child using cheap home software. ;) 99% of the time I use a simple crossfade or no transition at all.

4. My 2 cents on the "whole consist or not" thing. - It really depends on the situation. If it shows what sort of traffic runs on a specific train, then that can be interesting. If it is a single shot of coal cars going by for 5 minutes, maybe not. A lot of what I've shot the last few years has been excursions. I make sure to show the whole train at least once, but not every single runby.

5. Variety! Unless you are just trying to document every engine and car that goes by, mix up your shots. Find an overpass, do a telephoto shot from down the block, close up on wheels, anything but 20 minutes of 3/4 wedge grade crossings, ok? :)

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

My tips from watching lots of youtube.

Please don't use a 2 minute long intro of something really annoying like blaring horns, keep it short and interesting if you must.

We do not need to read an FBI copyright warning on the front end of every video for 30 seconds either. I'm sorry someone copied your video and claimed it as their own, but get over it already your still in High School and your not George Lucas or Disney. -Sorry Drayton but someone had to say it.

Voice overs are great but if you do not know how to pronounce a station name correctly stop in at the local gas station and ask. -Sorry pet peeve of mine. And fact check your info, if you don't wanna sound like an idiot well then don't speak. (crap did I just say that out loud?)
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

For someone of Drayton's caliber, I think the numerous times his stuff has been stolen, and the high value of his productions, the FBI slide is okay. I wish it was shorter, but it isn't too long. Plus, the intro and that slide are okay for most of his work given the longer duration. I don't like 40-second intros on two-minute videos, but for 20-minutes or longer, it is fine by me, if you have a brand and a good intro, like Drayton does.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:For someone of Drayton's caliber, I think the numerous times his stuff has been stolen, and the high value of his productions, the FBI slide is okay. I wish it was shorter, but it isn't too long. Plus, the intro and that slide are okay for most of his work given the longer duration. I don't like 40-second intros on two-minute videos, but for 20-minutes or longer, it is fine by me, if you have a brand and a good intro, like Drayton does.
The FBI will probably not do anything for Drayton... the warning is more of a hope and a prayer than an effective deterrant. I'm not sure if he is even in the right to use that warning card. Is he actually selling his stuff or just running a YouTube channel?

Often when I see that card on a YouTube channel my first reaction is "Who Cares?"

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Videography affords you more freedom than photography, especially with lighting.

1.) Use a tripod AND a level (if the tripod doesn't have one), and if you can spring for a fluid head tripod, GET ONE. They make pans and tilts much more, well, fluid.

2.) Cover your microphone with a pad or cotton ball and epoxy or something, or better yet, if your camera has a mic jack, get a microphone for video. They normally come with windscreens.

3.) TIGHT editing. Let's not kid ourselves. Very few of us want to see every car of a 100+ car rack train going 10 MPH. Same thing goes with extra footage before and after the train.

4.) Take it easy with panning, zooming and tilting. It's a camera, not a telescope.

Be inspired by what you see from the pros. IMO, Pentrex is the gold standard and has been for 30 years, in terms of cinematography and especially narration. Just enough info to afford the viewer the right amount of information without being too overwhelming and they have next to no hyperbole in their narration which other railroad video producers are guilty of.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

12Bridge wrote:If you put it online...

A) No music, PERIOD.
BS. The only time music shouldn't be used is when it's a video of a single train. For compilation videos, music is a must. The Beecher boys are experts at that. A song with a good rhythm and a moving train go naturally together.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
ns8401 wrote:
There are some who swear by one way or another.

If find myself enjoying the full thing assuming it is a decent speed. If it is a stand-alone or going fast (not more than a minute or two to pass), I will put it all in. But in larger productions, I will cut it after 30 second or so...since while "waiting" for the train to clear, one tends to be looking at that suggestions and then abandons the video!
If it's a single train video, show the whole thing. If you're making a compilation, 10-15 seconds of the train passing should be plenty before moving on to the next train or scene. Plus, no one wants to watch a video of an entire 130-car coal train (or grain train) passing. BORING.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

J T wrote:Plus, no one wants to watch a video of an entire 130-car coal train (or grain train) passing. BORING.
Unless the video has been artificially speeded up and the coal train looks like it's moving at warp speed. Add a little extra movement like a bad joint or other (minor) track anomaly and some lively piano music to make it the kind of interesting you might find in the movies Hollywood made at first (pre-talkies)...
~ Charles W.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

J T wrote:

A) No music, PERIOD.
BS. The only time music shouldn't be used is when it's a video of a single train. For compilation videos, music is a must. The Beecher boys are experts at that. A song with a good rhythm and a moving train go naturally together.
Why in gods name do I want to hear music rather than the sounds of the train going by? I can understand intro and outro music. Any music in between is really dumb.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

J T wrote:

A) No music, PERIOD.
Luther Perkins on guitar doing Johnny Cash's "boom-chick-a-boom"? :mrgreen:
Norm

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Please, PLEASE don't make me watch a headlight approaching for 4 minutes again. I just can't take it.

And I agree with everyone else, use a tripod.
Brett