Sunday train watching

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
pica
Railroadfan...fan

Sunday train watching

Unread post by pica »

Hi Everyone, I just started a new job that requires me to work Saturdays. So now the only day I get to go train watching is Sunday. I know Sundays can be kind of hit or miss. Anyone know any good Sunday train watching locations? How is Durand on Sundays?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Sunday train watching

Unread post by AARR »

It's my limited experience that Durand is very slow on Sundays from mid morning until evening. The few times I have been there on a Sunday I might average a train every 2-3 hours during that period. Ironically, they would normally be bunched together within an hour or so of each other. Perhaps others have a better sampling than me, though.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I would try Ohio.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

railohio wrote:I would try Ohio.
Sorry, looking for someplace a little closer to home.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

pica wrote:
Indiana?

The NS Chicago Line can be very busy or very slow on Sundays. There are usually Sunday afternoon lulls.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

pica wrote:
West Bloomfield to Durand - 59 miles - 71 minutes per Bing.
West Bloomfield to Toledo Ohio - 71 miles - 70 minutes per Bing. I'd absolutely vote for Toledo if you are still from the West bloomfield area, Pica.
Otherwise, go to Romulus or Delray, less than half the distance away.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

~Z~ wrote:
pica wrote:
West Bloomfield to Durand - 59 miles - 71 minutes per Bing.
West Bloomfield to Toledo Ohio - 71 miles - 70 minutes per Bing. I'd absolutely vote for Toledo if you are still from the West bloomfield area, Pica.
Otherwise, go to Romulus or Delray, less than half the distance away.
If I was to go to Ohio, I'd have to go to either Deshler or Fostoria.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

~Z~ wrote:Otherwise, go to Romulus or Delray, less than half the distance away.
Delray is the busiest junction in MI. However, I hear these days even it is a little slow sometimes.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

AARR wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Otherwise, go to Romulus or Delray, less than half the distance away.
Delray is the busiest junction in MI. However, I hear these days even it is a little slow sometimes.
Never really felt safe going to Delray alone. Would do Romulus. Also have heard many people mention Wyandotte, although not sure where in Wyandotte.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

pica wrote:Also have heard many people mention Wyandotte, although not sure where in Wyandotte.
Just about anywhere in Wyandotte will work because you can see all four tracks. Toward the south end approaching Trenton the tracks split up a little and are more difficult to see at the same time.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Today at Romulus I've snagged a up thundar ace on a (probably) Q150 and a kitty cat on the wabash. Slow so far.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Oak st. in Wyandotte would be the place. Lots of open space to shot. Delray is good also, never had a problem there ( NEVER! ). Slower around mid day.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

GTW6401 wrote:Delray isnt as good anymore. There is still plenty of trains, but more hassles than usual lately.

Apparently some people have been having issues with the CSX Police around Delray, and now a law firm has put signs up around there. I found this photo on Deadline Detroit's website a couple days ago.

People still think i was lying about my run in?? I have seen said CSX officers there lately, mainly checking out the container trains. Between him and that idiotic CP cop, its a grand ol time down there now.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

I was in Durand yesterday (a Sunday) and saw 7 trains from 1 PM till 7 PM. An average of more than 1 train per hour isn't bad. Also was able to see two trains work the yard so that kept your eyes occupied. Train 764 (loaded coal) came in with a BNSF gevo, BN executive SD70MAC and a BNSF SD70MAC for a DPU. 502 also worked the yard. The longest period there was with no trains was an hour and a half.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

pica wrote:If I was to go to Ohio, I'd have to go to either Deshler or Fostoria.
Why?
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

railohio wrote:
pica wrote:If I was to go to Ohio, I'd have to go to either Deshler or Fostoria.
Why?
Because those are the only places I know of. I tried to go to Toledo but could not find a good place to park. I've heard of Vickers but could not find it. Not interested in going to Berea.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Try west of Toledo.. Holland is all I know but I am sure there are more. Holland Ohio is a small town outside of Toledo
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

CharlieX90 wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:Delray isnt as good anymore. There is still plenty of trains, but more hassles than usual lately.

Apparently some people have been having issues with the CSX Police around Delray, and now a law firm has put signs up around there. I found this photo on Deadline Detroit's website a couple days ago.

People still think i was lying about my run in?? I have seen said CSX officers there lately, mainly checking out the container trains. Between him and that idiotic CP cop, its a grand ol time down there now.
Lying and not telling the whole story are two different things.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I have been going to Delray for 27 years and knock on wood never had a problem yet but i don't go there like i used to back before the breakup of Conrail i was there all the time.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Typhoon is our resident CSX defender. It's never CSXs fault. My run in with an overzealous CSX cop was two years ago, and Charlie X90s run in with a different CSX cop, at the same location, who put a gun in his face and put him over the hood of the car, was a couple weeks after my run in. Most people accosted by CSX cops don't run home and post about it on Railfan.com. So, what we know is probably just the tip of the iceberg. That a law firm is posting notices in the area, two years later, specifically naming CSX cops, is very telling. It indicates that many people besides myself and Charlie have been harrassed at Delray. Apparently enough to get the attention of a law firm. And two years later, it indicates an ongoing and continueing problem. And it indicates that CSX cops are the primary culprits! At the same location at Delray, I had an NS officer pull up side of me, roll down his window, and ask what I was doing. I told him I was just watching a few trains, and he replied, "Well, this is a good place for it. Have a nice night". And he drove away. Never got out of his vehicle. The CN cops just drive across the tracks slowly, looking around, and keep going. I've never seen them stop. Quite a different approach for CSX cops, to say the least. People need to understand that rail cops are not like municipal cops. They do have full police powers, but only "serve and protect" their corporate masters who hire them. They do not care about your civil rights, or if you are on public property, or take an oath to uphold the Constitution. CSX has publicly stated that they are "pro active" against terrorism. And "pro active" for CSX cops means keeping trainwatchers as far as possible from CSX operations with no regard for your rights or if you are conducting yourself lawfully on public property. Personally, I will never tell a CSX cop that I'm watching trains. That immediately puts you in his area of responsibility. "I just stopped to make a cellphone call safely officer. Is there a problem"? That puts him in the position of harrassing a citizen who simply stopped to be safe while making a cellphone call on a public street.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".