Oil Trains

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: Oil Trains

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

MagnumForce wrote:heavy train with liquid sloshing around back and forth that requires 3 big AC units to control. That is just a broken knuckle waiting to happen, 2 up front and one at the rear make that less of an issue. CSX won't allow more than 2 AC units on the point of a train on the Garrett and Willard subs except for the oil trains which both received "special dispensation" It's right there in the timetable.
Considering there is "SOME" truth here, your 3/4 WRONG.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Do tell, Matty :lol:

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Considering there is "SOME" truth here, your 3/4 WRONG.
AND HERE'S WHY.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

MagnumForce wrote:Do tell, Matty :lol:
cbehr91 wrote:AND HERE'S WHY.
#1 Now if I did that, that would be I am back to posting on this board, and that will never happen until peoples attudes chage, as I swore I wont post until then. And #2 I am pretty sure I know what I am doing, you just need to know that I am right and Magnum is wrong.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

sd70accsxt700 23,657,876 Stupid "know it all foamers" 0
*Grabs popcorn to sit and watch* 8)
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

MagnumForce wrote:It isn't just a long heavy train, it is a long, heavy train with liquid sloshing around back and forth that requires 3 big AC units to control.
If that was true DM&E ethanol trains, powered by junk DM&E SD40s, would be in real trouble.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Typhoon +1,000,000, and he dosent even run the trains.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

I just stop them....

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:#1 Now if I did that, that would be I am back to posting on this board, and that will never happen until peoples attudes chage, as I swore I wont post until then. And #2 I am pretty sure I know what I am doing, you just need to know that I am right and Magnum is wrong.

So basically you will never post here again?
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Typhoon wrote:I just stop them....
And so do I.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

JoJames wrote:
And so do I.

You guys did a good job of slowing everything down Tuesday night...

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Curious about the restrictions mentioned as to normally limiting trains to only 2 AC units. Does this only apply to AC units? So you could run say 3 SD70M's, but only 2 SD70ACe's? Why is that?

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

That was a good point about the ethanol trains not having DPUs. And if a tank car is full, there shouldn't be any sloshing around. Unless it was filled by weight, and not totally full. I do think ethanol would slosh more than crude oil. Just curious. Are the crude oil trains longer or heavier than ethanol trains?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Typhoon wrote:
JoJames wrote:
And so do I.

You guys did a good job of slowing everything down Tuesday night...
Yes. We did. Ten years a go are boss has 22 people working under him we are now down to 15. This may have something to do with it.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

hoborich wrote:That was a good point about the ethanol trains not having DPUs. And if a tank car is full, there shouldn't be any sloshing around. Unless it was filled by weight, and not totally full. I do think ethanol would slosh more than crude oil. Just curious. Are the crude oil trains longer or heavier than ethanol trains?
I was curious about the same thing. I have read back in the 1940's that liquids sloshing around tank cars could pose a real problem. But with modern technology I was wondering if the tank cars are filled enough where internal movement is no longer a problem :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I have to take sides in this debate, and I'm on the side of those who do it for a living and have concrete information on what they speak of. I try to learn from my contacts and those who are in the know. Speculation and ill informed opinions don't cut it.
Norm

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

AARR wrote: I was curious about the same thing. I have read back in the 1940's that liquids sloshing around tank cars could pose a real problem. But with modern technology I was wondering if the tank cars are filled enough where internal movement is no longer a problem :?
Don,

Don't know for certain, but I would think the tanks would have internal baffles to help prevent sloshing.
Norm

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

StupidFlee​t wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:#1 Now if I did that, that would be I am back to posting on this board, and that will never happen until peoples attudes chage, as I swore I wont post until then. And #2 I am pretty sure I know what I am doing, you just need to know that I am right and Magnum is wrong.

So basically you will never post here again?
If you notice about the only thing I post any more is WRONG, so yes. Other then this explnation. No jokes I know what your going to say next. LOL

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Tank cars can and do slosh. I remember riding Marquettes Z train a few years ago, we had 6 or 7 loaded tanks on the rear of a roughly 50 car train. I remember the engineer saying "you feel that? thats those tank cars on the rear". You could feel them sloshing through the slack action, and that was only a few cars, can't imagine what a full train of tanks is like.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

bctrainfan wrote:Curious about the restrictions mentioned as to normally limiting trains to only 2 AC units. Does this only apply to AC units? So you could run say 3 SD70M's, but only 2 SD70ACe's? Why is that?
Yes.

To limit draft forces, the maximum trailing tonnage for a train handled with only head-end power will be restricted as follows:
1. For loaded unit trains (coal, grain, potash, etc.) the maximum tonnage will not exceed the tonnage determined by the tonnage rating for two (2) AC4400 and one (1) C40-8 or CW40-8 locomotives.
2. For other trains, (Trains not qualifying as unit trains), the maximum tonnage will not exceed the tonnage determined by the tonnage rating for three (3) C40-8 or CW40-8 locomotives.
On grades where this tonnage limitation will be exceeded, trains will have a rear-end helper or appropriately positioned in-train helper, or the trailing tonnage must be reduced.
3. The number of powered axles in use must not exceed:
• 24—for the operating locomotives that are pulling a train or cut of cars.
• 15—when all operating locomotives are shoving a train or cut of cars totaling more than 50 cars, and every locomotive in the consist and within twenty cars of the consist are equipped with alignment control devices. If any locomotive in the consist or within twenty cars of consist is not equipped with alignment control devices, comply with Paragraph B(1) below.
• 12—on a helper locomotive when the helper locomotive is shoving a train.

When calculating powered axles, count AC locomotives as 9 axles.
When a reduction of powered axles is necessary, isolate locomotives from the rear of the consist forward.
4. ABTH rule is modified for Express Train Service only.
ABTH rule is modified for Express Trains Q090 and Q091 only, to enable the locomotive operator to use 3CW44AC locomotives or 27 powered axles.