Looking for Railroad Postcards

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Looking for Railroad Postcards

Unread post by mikekmac »

Hi. I'm in the Lansing area. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could get some (prototype) railroad postcards at a retail-spinner kind of price ($.39 each, 3/$1, that sort of thing)? I'm involved with an international postcard exchange, and I'd like to join the railroading special interest group, but to do that I need some inventory to send! I'm planning to check out the museum store at Durand next week, but other than that I don't know what to do but wait for the next big model RR show or event that I am able to get to. I'd like to patronize a Michigan dealer if I can.

Michael

Addendum: Just to be clear, I'm not looking for vintage/collectible cards. I'm looking for everyday contemporary cards. For instance, the last type I had was a card showing a green E-3 sitting on a track at St. Louis Union Station, which I picked up at Union Station last April. But I'm all out of those now.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Looking for Railroad Postcards

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

A good question, Mike. I'm not sure what the Durand gift shop might offer (but I'm curious to know what you find there). I myself have been a postcard fan since I was a kid, not part of any club, just collecting them for myself and sending them back and forth between friends. As for contemporary railroad postcards.....hmmm. Amtrak has a set or two which then sell which show some current trains and consists, but in recent years it's been really hard to find them on corridor trains.....the only place I see them are on long-distance runs in the Lounge car. They have 5 or 6 in a pack. Amtrak also offers some "Advertisement" postcards for some of their routes available online, but these are stylized ads with either the F40 or the Genesis and train with a romantic background, not prototypical.

There's a great little shop in Toronto's Union Station which retails a ton of Canadian railroad postcards....from modern Via Genesis back to the days of CN and CP steam. Very cool. For somewhat contemporary things, that's about all I know of. Groups like SRI sell postcards of modern images of the 1225, but that's not new equipment. Places like Steamtown do the same thing. Heck, the trolley museum I work at sells almost 2 dozen different postcards of streetcars dating from the first half of the 20th century. Some are historic views while most are more modern views of historic equipment at our museum.....the most recent of which is our Atlanta 948 streetcar (built 1926) operating on our line earlier this summer! Ours retail for 35 cents each, including tax.

Good luck, I'd be interested to know what you find. And PS, as an employee of the USPS, I'd like to thank you for helping maintain our volume of First-Class mail by sending more post cards. :D

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikekmac »

GP30M4216 wrote:A good question, Mike. I'm not sure what the Durand gift shop might offer (but I'm curious to know what you find there). I myself have been a postcard fan since I was a kid, not part of any club, just collecting them for myself and sending them back and forth between friends. As for contemporary railroad postcards.....hmmm. Amtrak has a set or two which then sell which show some current trains and consists, but in recent years it's been really hard to find them on corridor trains.....the only place I see them are on long-distance runs in the Lounge car. They have 5 or 6 in a pack. Amtrak also offers some "Advertisement" postcards for some of their routes available online, but these are stylized ads with either the F40 or the Genesis and train with a romantic background, not prototypical.

There's a great little shop in Toronto's Union Station which retails a ton of Canadian railroad postcards....from modern Via Genesis back to the days of CN and CP steam. Very cool. For somewhat contemporary things, that's about all I know of. Groups like SRI sell postcards of modern images of the 1225, but that's not new equipment. Places like Steamtown do the same thing. Heck, the trolley museum I work at sells almost 2 dozen different postcards of streetcars dating from the first half of the 20th century. Some are historic views while most are more modern views of historic equipment at our museum.....the most recent of which is our Atlanta 948 streetcar (built 1926) operating on our line earlier this summer! Ours retail for 35 cents each, including tax.

Good luck, I'd be interested to know what you find. And PS, as an employee of the USPS, I'd like to thank you for helping maintain our volume of First-Class mail by sending more post cards. :D
I'd be glad to buy modern cards of museum pieces, and my correspondents would be glad to get them. I just can't get into buying vintage cards for $2-4 each to send off to Belarus and Taiwan! The international postcard rate is bad enough. (P.S. You're welcome. :) )

For that matter, I'd be glad to buy a couple each of what you have at the trolley museum--is there some way I can do a mail order, or send you a check/Paypal for the cost+postage to me?

I'll have to try contacting SRI and Steamtown with the same question. Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

If you can message me your email address I'll be glad to email you a postcard order form. We don't normally do mail-order postcards but I've found a few other people who live far away but are interested enough and I'm happy to help out. It gives the museum some additional exposure and every little bit helps us pay the bills! The price is 35-cents each per card including taxes and when I know how many you want we can figure out the shipping. I'd be happy to scan a couple samples to attach to the email as well.

Did you have any luck at the depot museum in Durand? I don't remember if they have any postcards or not. If I think of any other potential resources I'll let you know.