GLC Northern Division survey

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Northern Division survey

Unread post by bctrainfan »

hoborich wrote:What is dat ting?
Think it may be a whatchamacallit or possibly a thingamajig. :mrgreen:

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Well...lets see. Its parked on a spur to some sort of electrical sub station. Its big. Looks expense. I'm going with transformer. They're more than meets the eye.

Practice Safe CSX

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

That thing is a depressed center flat car... Oh, you mean the load. :lol:

The load is a high voltage electrical transformer that changes the voltage of a long distance transmission line, probably 138kV, to the local distribution voltage.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Standard Railfan wrote:That thing is a depressed center flat car...
Why is it sad :? :lol: :oops:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

AARR wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:That thing is a depressed center flat car...
Why is it sad :? :lol: :oops:
"oh, why do I always get all the heavy loads? And then I just get shoved off onto some siding and left all alone! Why do those stupid Amtrak cars get to go so fast and get so much attention? i never get to have ANY fun!" :mrgreen:

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

This thread is a bit old. Can anyone recap the customers north of Owosso and touch on operations out of Cadillac? Wondering what traffic will be like whrn I visit in October. Thanks!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mackinac Mac wrote:This thread is a bit old. Can anyone recap the customers north of Owosso and touch on operations out of Cadillac? Wondering what traffic will be like whrn I visit in October. Thanks!
Oakley has a pair of large elevators.
Ashley has the fertilizer plant that's pretty busy.
Middleton picked up a new fertilizer dealer in addition to the elevator.
Alma is an occasional interchange with MMRR (asphalt, fertilizer, grain and lumber).
Ithaca has a pair of small bean plants that ship now and then.
Shepherd has an elevator and small plastics plant.
Rosebush as an elevator and small fertilizer dealer.
Clare has PolyPavilion which is busy and a lumber yard east of town.
Farwell has the foam plant.
McBain has the pole treatment plant, wood burning plant and lumber mill.
Cadillac has the coke transload, feed dealer, liquid waste transload and grain transload. They receive some propane around there too.
North of Cadiilac is the lumber yard in Bates (Williamsburg) which they seem to visit twice a week, Kalkaska has the methanol transload and the gas plant south of town ships 10-15 cars a week of butane. Mancelona gets a few carloads of plastic monthly and Petoskey gets plastic cars every other week or so.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

Where is the Coke shipped from and too in Cadillac?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Loaded coke cars come from ABC Coke in AL (and maybe Towanda Coke in NY too) and are unloaded on the south yard track of Selma Yard where a pit was dug under the track and a conveyor loads the trucks. The coke is delivered to several local foundries including the place in Cadillac and possibly East Jordan Iron Works too (I can't confirm). Seems to average around 10 cars a week.
Mackinac Mac wrote:Where is the Coke shipped from and too in Cadillac?

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

AARR wrote:The coke is delivered to several local foundries including the place in Cadillac and possibly East Jordan Iron Works too (I can't confirm).
I spotted a truck load of coke headed towards US-131 out of Cadillac one day last week.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

The best way to catch trains out of Cadillac is to be in town around 0800 and listen to which way they head. A few years ago their schedule was pretty set as to which day they headed north. Nowadays, they could head in either direction on any week day. Some days they switch the businesses in town in the afternoon, sometimes the next morning. There has even been a rare day when they don't run at all.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AARR wrote:
Mackinac Mac wrote:This thread is a bit old. Can anyone recap the customers north of Owosso and touch on operations out of Cadillac? Wondering what traffic will be like whrn I visit in October. Thanks!
Oakley has a pair of large elevators.
Ashley has the fertilizer plant that's pretty busy.
Middleton picked up a new fertilizer dealer in addition to the elevator.
Alma is an occasional interchange with MMRR (asphalt, fertilizer, grain and lumber).
Ithaca has a pair of small bean plants that ship now and then.
Shepherd has an elevator and small plastics plant.
Rosebush as an elevator and small fertilizer dealer.
Clare has PolyPavilion which is busy and a lumber yard east of town.
Farwell has the foam plant.
McBain has the pole treatment plant, wood burning plant and lumber mill.
Cadillac has the coke transload, feed dealer, liquid waste transload and grain transload. They receive some propane around there too.
North of Cadiilac is the lumber yard in Bates (Williamsburg) which they seem to visit twice a week, Kalkaska has the methanol transload and the gas plant south of town ships 10-15 cars a week of butane. Mancelona gets a few carloads of plastic monthly and Petoskey gets plastic cars every other week or so.
Seems I've read that a lumber co. in Manton gets a load by rail on occasion. Can anyone confirm?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Pulpwood or logs were being shipped for a while but I'm told that operation wrapped up its business and moved everything.
Pixl wrote:Seems I've read that a lumber co. in Manton gets a load by rail on occasion. Can anyone confirm?