Railfanning Spots: CSX GR Wyoming Yard to Holland MI

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Railfanning Spots: CSX GR Wyoming Yard to Holland MI

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Long over due, but here's a start on the CSX mainline between Wyoming Yard in Grand Rapids MI to Waverly in Holland MI railfanning guide.

Since there is some info on Judd St by Conrail Jon found here: http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1974 , I'll start just west of there.

First spot to get to is Burlingame Ave, just to the west of Judd St.

After Burlingame Ave, if you head west on Chicago Dr, you'll cross a set of tracks heading south to Victor Barnes..couple places for photos here.
Right at Chicago Dr:

Next down the line is a great place to watch Doktor No and the west side gang kick cars. You can also see any trains at Wyoming Yard that are waiting to depart westbound.

There is quite a bit of clutter in the foreground here, so it's not the best for photos

Next stop on the line that's accessible is Ivanrest. A nice set of signals await you here, and a pretty clear view. Quite a good spot for afternoon shots, as there isn't much room on the southeast side of the tracks.
Signals at Ivanrest

There's a few spurs just west of Ivanrest, along Viaduct St, some of the only ones till you get to Zeeland.
Along Viaduct St

Grandville
Rounding the corner at Ivanrest, the tracks go under 28th St and round a curve here, heading a bit more west, but still somewhat south. This is accessible from Elwood Ave
North side of tracks
South side of tracks

A little further down in Grandville is Ottawa Ave Looking east
Looking west

Just down from Ottawa Ave, we have Wilson Ave..lots of traffic here, so usually not the best for photos.

Next crossing is Franklin Ave, which has a spur to a Standale Lumber

Two crossings down in Broadway Ave in Grandville still. Quite secluded since this is a dead end street. Looking east
Looking west

From Chicago Dr, there's a mini putt-putt golf course, and got this pic there once:

Jenison
Next up is a spot that I spent many many hours overall..lived just down the road in Jension. This is near the wastewater plant in Jenison, located at the corner of Baldwin St and Old M-21. It's a deadend road as well, very little traffic, with a bridge over a creek, along with the I-196 overpass. Lots of possibilities here.
And from up the embankment:

From the wastewater crossing:

From the bridge over the creek:

As we head down Chicago Dr to Jenison, there's a parking lot at Perkins that's good for photos.

Next crossing out of Jenison is 12th Ave

There's a cool place on the right side of the road past 12th Ave, but before 18th Ave, some cement place, with one crossing light. Here's a video of them going past
One shot of them during the winter:

At Port Sheldon, there's a cool small pond to take photos across from, lots of road traffic around though.

As you get out of Jenison along Chicago Dr, photo ops are generally just along the side of the road..lots of days on my drives to work, that's just how the photo ended up.
Just east of Port Sheldon:

There's a small park on the north side of the tracks called Sunrise Park. It's accessable off of Balsam Dr off of a residental neighborhood:
Nice writing on the bridge....

West of Sunrise Park, but before Hudsonville:

Hudsonville
Haven't tried Balsam Dr due to heavy traffic, but just west of there is School Ave..the tracks really head almost directly southwest at this point, so in the later afternoon, you'll want to be on the far side of the tracks in the later afternoon.

A shot from the side of the road in Hudsonville:

West end of Hudsonville siding:

There are many farmer's crossings between Hudsonville and Zeeland, so here are a couple:

At Vriesland (64th Ave)
Looking east:
Looking west:

West of Vriesland, farmer's crossing:

Nearing 80th Ave outside of Zeeland:

In Zeeland, quite a few areas to pull behind of, or get shots at the crossings through town.

Here's one just west of State St:
In Holland:
At Waverly Rd:
Last edited by ~Z~ on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Zack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread post by signmasters »

Great info got my GPS with pin heads on spots we are going to visit around 19, will hit 48th st. but that is as far east than head west so we can end up on the coast for sunset. It's raining here so putting it off till Wednesday maybe we will get some sun! Thanks again!
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

1st 2 photos are taken at the end of Burlingame SW not Buchanan. Buchanan is east from the yard at Hall Street :) The concrete place west of Jension is (used to be?) DeWent Gravel.

ADMIN EDIT: Thanks Raildudes dad... I really did know that..lots of photos of mine are from Buchanan..must have just gotten too used to typing it.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I knew you knew that :D It's one of those things, you can read it numerous times and not catch it. Been there, done that :lol:

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Aren't you gonna finish this Zack?