RKA / Shell

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

RKA / Shell

Unread post by AARR »

There is a bulk gas distributor terminal in Romulus at Wick and Middlebelt. I have been watching it for many years. Most of those years it was operated by RKA. A few years ago Shell took over. It is served by NS.

For most of the years they had a single spur and always had 1-5 tank cars of ethanol in it.

About 3-4 years ago they added a second spur and both spurs usually had 1-5 tank cars in them.

A couple years ago Shell took over and carloads dropped to a few a week.

I have not seen any tank cars there in a few months now.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: RKA / Shell

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Thats correct Don. I also haven't seen or heard of movements there. And last time I was by there seemed to be a lack of fuel trucks in the lot as well.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Coincidence? Shell is closing a refinery in Wood River Illinois near St Louis. Could any tankers that were brought here to the gas depot could have come from that facility?
http://www.altondailynews.com/news/deta ... 7&id=23174
Exit stage left

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

How do you create gas shortages to raise prices? Just close a refinery, buy out a competitor and shut that down too.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

TrainWatcher
The Beast

IIRC the RKA Facility was related to the fuel for the Detroit Metro Airport.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It appears rail shipments started again. Today I saw five tank cars on the Shell spur. The tank cars were white with a black band around the middle. I haven't seen this color pattern in ethanol service so I don't know what commodity the tank cars might have carried.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Been shipping again since mid-summer. Seems to be oil, but I haven't seen a good look at the placards.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

The number on the placards should tell you. I did that just yesterday, when I saw a cut of 30 loaded tankers on the lead going down to Port Everglades terminal. The number 1987 was on the placards and comes up as some kind of alcohol, probably ethanol.
Due to weather issues, I am forced to do my train watching in sunny Florida, until the weather issues subside. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Current Google maps has the facility marked as "Sunoco Logistics Partners" Click on the link below for details.
http://www.sunocologistics.com/Customer ... t-Map/241/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the correction, MS. SLP has acquired some other local tank farms. This is the only rail served one that I know of.
MSchwiebert wrote:Current Google maps has the facility marked as "Sunoco Logistics Partners" Click on the link below for details.
http://www.sunocologistics.com/Customer ... t-Map/241/