CN Dispatching question

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

CN Dispatching question

Unread post by CAT345C »

Okay I am contradicting all of my anti CN views but back in Febuary I was in Walled Lake checking out Coe Rail, and had the scanner on Scan instead of being locked on 160.23 I got CN TD2 Is the CN Dispatchers out of Troy, and thats what the T is for, then the D is for Dispatcher, and the # is the line, like TD2 would be Troy Dispatcher 2. I ask because in October a nice set of BNSF SD40-2s with a train of racks went thourgh Holly, and I was on TD3 and did not know about them so I didn't get the shot.

Gregg already told me the Holy Sub channel, what are the other CN channels in Michigan, I have all of the Wisconsin Central Channels.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

No TD3 stands for Train Dispatcher #2, #3, or #4, used to be a TD1 also for the Line through St. Johns and the line to Saginaw. When they were still in Pontiac, they were still TD.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

It used to mean Train Dispatcher, but a few people have told me that since they made the move to Troy from Pontiac in 1997, it now means either "Troy Dispatcher" or "Troy Desk" #2, 3 or 4. Also one of the dispatchers I've heard on TD3 always answers his calls with "CN Troy Dispatcher, TD3 over."
There are basically three different channels that CN uses in Michigan, on the GTW lines:
160.590 --> Road Channel for all Subdivisions in Michigan
160.530 --> Dispatcher channel for TD2 and TD4.
161.220 --> Dispatcher channel for TD3.

TD2 Controls the Holly Subdivision and the Mount Clemens Subdivision, and I think they also control the lines to Flat Rock and Toledo.
TD3 Controls the Entire Flint Subdivision from Battle Creek to Port Huron, and also controls the Bessemer & Lake Erie down in Ohio and Pennsylvania.
TD4 Controls the South Bend and Elsdon Subdivisions, from Battle Creek to Blue Island, IL (Chicago).
Back in the 1990s, they had it set up so that the 160.530 channel was the dispatcher channel for ALL THREE TD desks, but there was too much noise around Durand and Battle creek, so they gave TD3 it's own channel.
And Mike, you shouldn't leave your scanner locked on one channel only. Let it scan and you will hear more.
Last edited by RailCanon on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I lock it because I can hear the Sag sub in South Lyon as well as the Plymouth Sub, yesterday I heard a train on thet Saginaw sub clearing Highland Siding, thats really far away from my house!
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e