MILW 261 sold

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

MILW 261 sold

Unread post by GLC 392 »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: MILW 261 sold

Unread post by AARR »

Hope whoever bought it has the finances and desire to get it running again
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I would love to know who bought it and has that kind of money, and why the museum put it up for sale, and how much impact this is gonna have with SRI and 1225.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I wouldn't expect this to have much, if any bearing on SRI or 1225.

Here's the buzz from the Steam Board at Trainorders...
A Collector in California has bought it and then plans to lease it back to the Friends of the 261.
This imformation was gathered by me calling Stearling Rail who sold the Milwaukee Road 261.

Chris G.
And from Doug Bailey, via Railway Preservation News:
Well for starters, let's announce that Milwaukee Road 261 has been sold, or at least, so reports Sterling Rail's website. Please see the following link:

http://www.sterlingrail.com/547/class.php?id=107

Nobody is saying much about the buyer at this point other than that he's on the west coast.
Also in the news...from the same post...
Sandberg Sightings!

Last weekend Steve Sandberg was at the Rail Passenger Car Alliance Convention in North Carolina and was seen deeply engaged in conversation with Wick Moorman of the Norfolk Southern over a two hour span. The conversations were said to include steam operations in general and the 611 specifically. Other than that I don't know much.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Sandberg comments: lot of activity in progress toward's putting another Northern in the Friends shop. Should have more info in a week or two.
This "other Northern" may be 261's eventual replacement, or the temporary substitute. Who knows for sure, though.
I have only one thing to say and what's I've said repeatedly over the past year. We'll just have to watch what happens.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Railcanon, you forget who has 261's tubes.... Last I checked 1225 was!

It would be nice to see 611 get out and about again, however, I'd hate to see her really wreck after splitting another switch

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

1225 has a couple tubes but 261 will need BRAND NEW tubes not used ones... every engine needs new tubes when it has its 15 year inspection.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Ah, ok, didnt know that Steven, thanks for that bit of info.