Conrail Shared Assets Operations

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Conrail Shared Assets Operations

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

I heard three horns on the Sterling Secondary: this morning, aound 2pm ( WS-34 ) and now at 10:20pm which I think is from Chrysler back up and running. Which trains may these be :?:

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

You can see plenty of North Yard without trespassing, but East Yard is the busier of the two. I have never wandered up on the overpass since the sidewalk is on the wrong side to take photos, plus that hefty walk up.

For the east end I usually pull up next to the bus graveyard on Lynch since you can see most everything near the yard office. For the western end I will go to the baseball fields that are at the dead-end of Dan Street, east of J.C. There are bleachers that I have used before to shoot photos to get above a fence line along the ROW.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Is there any updates on any jobs at north yard :?:

I am regulary hearing and being woken up by a late night horn on the Sterling Secondary. Has NS 171 started running out of Sterling Yard again :?:

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

No, only thing operating between North Yard & Sterling would be a Sterling "local". The activity between North Yard & Mound Road has increased as there is now a noon Mound Road local on. All NS trains go only as far as North Yard.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

over on the NCIR yahoo groups board there is someone around the Peru/Logansport Indiana area that posts sightings of NS trains in the area on the Wabash. In one his most recent reports he listed an NS 181, doesn't this originate in the Detroit area?
Exit stage left

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

These past two nights I heard a horn at 9:30pm and 1:40am on the Sterling Secondary. As there are two jobs there now, is this B35 dropping cars at Sterling now instead of NOrth Yard :?:

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

The "Bomber" has not made it's way up to Sterling yet. They are going to start a daily round trip out of Oakwood yard with stops at Livernois yard, North yard, Mound road yard & Sterling yard and pick-ups on the way back to Oakwood yard. Sounds like the WS-34 (0500p) they have been running the glory to North yard and then bring a track back up. They have been working into the wee hours of the morning. The NS is not happy that rail traffic is increasing, they are complaining about power and crews. Its funny, that even I remember a time when railroads use to like having customers.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Its funny, that even I remember a time when railroads use to like having customers.
Especially on a line they want to keep open...at least I hope they do.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

M.D.Bentley wrote:The "Bomber" has not made it's way up to Sterling yet. They are going to start a daily round trip out of Oakwood yard with stops at Livernois yard, North yard, Mound road yard & Sterling yard and pick-ups on the way back to Oakwood yard. Sounds like the WS-34 (0500p) they have been running the glory to North yard and then bring a track back up. They have been working into the wee hours of the morning. The NS is not happy that rail traffic is increasing, they are complaining about power and crews. Its funny, that even I remember a time when railroads use to like having customers.
Yep they complain about no crew yet are VERY slow to call back those on the street.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

redside20 wrote:over on the NCIR yahoo groups board there is someone around the Peru/Logansport Indiana area that posts sightings of NS trains in the area on the Wabash. In one his most recent reports he listed an NS 181, doesn't this originate in the Detroit area?
Yes Luke, 181 originates in Oakwood Yard and runs to St. Louis daily. He's usually real heavy on the autoparts boxes as is his counterpart 120 as well as trains 121 and 122 between Decatur, IL and Oakwood. I don't believe any of these trains were cut due to the economy.

NS 181 at Sloan Station, IL (he's got about a dozen multi-levels on the head end, the rest is auto parts)

NS 122 at Tolono, IL

Here's a good link to bookmark (thanks to ScooterB!): http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewto ... cf2123137b
Last edited by Mr. Tops on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

NS operates (I think they still do) an auto parts warehouse near their Detroit Yard which is primarily used by GM (IIRC). Every day the assemble a unit box car train of parts. St. Louis could be the destination but I'm not positive.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

That is the DRDC, Detroit Regonial Distrbution Center on Dix ave. next to Oakwood yard. I'am not sure who uses it but it does get switched a few times each day.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That is the DRDC, Detroit Regonial Distrbution Center on Dix ave. next to Oakwood yard. I'am not sure who uses it but it does get switched a few times each day.
That's the one. Thanks MDB. Back in the better days they'd assemble a unit train of 40-50 cars per day. It's probably much lower than that now and combined with other traffic.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Don, NS trains 121/122, 120/181 are still pretty decent-sized trains. Those are the trains to/from DRDC. The second picture (in b&w) is NS 122 heading to Detroit from Decatur, IL. Don't be fooled by the picture, as the train is going through a cross-over and further back in the shot, the train is still coming around a corner. :wink:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks Bob. I miss the auto parts in box car trains there used to be far more of. Glad to see a few still around.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Update: NS 171 is now NS 293 (Detroit-Spring, TX via UP)

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Here's a high sun, backlit, somewhat fuzzy crap shot I found on the external drive of another NS 181 between Danville and Homer, IL

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Mr. Tops wrote:Update: NS 171 is now NS 293 (Detroit-Spring, TX via UP)
Bob thats interesting. does it run everyday? Also i think 146 was combined with 272 awhile back
Exit stage left

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Lukas; yes and yes. 293 is running every day now with 10-20 cars for UP out of Detroit. At Sidney, IL the train becomes UP trian ADESPJ which runs into Salem, IL. It used to run from Salem to Spring as ADESP (no J) but now it the cars get put into MSMEW from Salem to Englewood, TX. I heard the same thing that NS 146 was combined into 272, which accounts for the monsterous trains 272's had.
Last edited by Mr. Tops on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Lucas
Its Lukas.
Bob - Thanks for the great info on the auto parts train. I wish CN could develop something like that.