C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.

C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby atrainguy60 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Somehow, somewhere, someone put C&O reporting marks/logos on a ex CSX PRLX locomotive.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... csx-diesel
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer
 
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:54 pm
Location: None of your business......

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby NSSD60M » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 am

Trains magazine must have bottomed out for news stories to be making one out of this. Why even bother? All they likely did was raise CSX management's radar to the issue to get it painted over and remedied.
NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby AARR » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:50 am

Back in the 80's or 90's a GTW engines trucks (and gas tank IIRC) was painted with the red nose paint (rather than the normal GTW color black) but it looked pink. It ran around the system for a while before management caught it and had it repainted.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
 
Posts: 29409
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby Ypsi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:08 pm

NSSD60M wrote:Trains magazine must have bottomed out for news stories to be making one out of this. Why even bother? All they likely did was raise CSX management's radar to the issue to get it painted over and remedied.

Because trains reports on all railroad news as such? It's news worthy to me because no matter what CSX will find out. How fast it is patched out just depends really, because as much as CSX wouldn't care for that, I'm sure the leasing company would rather have its logos on the unit as well. Plus it's not TRAINS Responsibility to hide the fact this happen.. if you really wanted it to stick around, no one would Publish any photos or videos on of it, then not even trains would know.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5145
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby hoborich » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Why doesn't CSX just leave it that way and call it a Heritage unit? Looked OK to me. Besides, Chesapeake and Ohio sounds like a real railroad, while CSX just sounds like some corporate conglomerate!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby Saturnalia » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 pm

hoborich wrote:Why doesn't CSX just leave it that way and call it a Heritage unit? Looked OK to me. Besides, Chesapeake and Ohio sounds like a real railroad, while CSX just sounds like some corporate conglomerate!

Probably because CSX no longer owns it!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Dah Yooper Snowfall Total: 000.0"
User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
 
Posts: 13479
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby SD80MAC » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 am

This is a former CSX locomotive owned by Progress Rail Leasing now. I find it amusing that people are thinking CSX has something to do with it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
Image
User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
 
Posts: 7518
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby DaveO » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:21 pm

SD80MAC wrote:This is a former CSX locomotive owned by Progress Rail Leasing now. I find it amusing that people are thinking CSX has something to do with it.


I checked and the C&O for Progress mark is a registered servicemark of CSX. That means that CSX has a lot to do with this.
If you don't take appropriate action to rectify the encroachment on your servicemarks/trademarks, you run the risk of losing the legal rights to them.
Ask Bayer about aspirin which used to be Aspirin.

I suspect you were aiming at the concept that CSX still owned the engine in question, which of course they don't.
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby NSSD60M » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Ypsi wrote:
NSSD60M wrote:Trains magazine must have bottomed out for news stories to be making one out of this. Why even bother? All they likely did was raise CSX management's radar to the issue to get it painted over and remedied.

Because trains reports on all railroad news as such? It's news worthy to me because no matter what CSX will find out. How fast it is patched out just depends really, because as much as CSX wouldn't care for that, I'm sure the leasing company would rather have its logos on the unit as well. Plus it's not TRAINS Responsibility to hide the fact this happen.. if you really wanted it to stick around, no one would Publish any photos or videos on of it, then not even trains would know.


Because obviously this has nothing to do with CSX. That isn't clear? Reaching out to CSX is nothing but pandering for drama. Exacty my point, if it's a newsworthy piece (as you claim it is to you) then Trains magazine must be leaning toward tabloid style news these days and digging up whatever they can.
NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby Ypsi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:49 pm

NSSD60M wrote:Because obviously this has nothing to do with CSX. That isn't clear? Reaching out to CSX is nothing but pandering for drama. Exacty my point, if it's a newsworthy piece (as you claim it is to you) then Trains magazine must be leaning toward tabloid style news these days and digging up whatever they can.

If you can explain how an unauthorized use of a CSX property (the C&O logos) has NOTHING to do with CSX I'll be impressed. TRAINS is a magazine for railfans, under this logic they should have never covered ANY of the heritage units. Having a C&O logo on a unit in 2018 is news for rail fans, and something people will want to see before it's covered up.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5145
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby NSSD60M » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:11 am

Ypsi wrote:
NSSD60M wrote:Because obviously this has nothing to do with CSX. That isn't clear? Reaching out to CSX is nothing but pandering for drama. Exacty my point, if it's a newsworthy piece (as you claim it is to you) then Trains magazine must be leaning toward tabloid style news these days and digging up whatever they can.

If you can explain how an unauthorized use of a CSX property (the C&O logos) has NOTHING to do with CSX I'll be impressed. TRAINS is a magazine for railfans, under this logic they should have never covered ANY of the heritage units. Having a C&O logo on a unit in 2018 is news for rail fans, and something people will want to see before it's covered up.


It has nothing to with CSX in the fact that it is (was) nothing more than tasteful graffiti by some railfan or shop employee. If you're going to make a comparison, I would be impressed if you actually tried comparing apples to apples. The NS Heritage program, as you bring up in your failed argument, was obviously a company endorsed and sanctioned event the even the company promoted and advertised. I'll still stand with my view of Trains writers being awfully bored and uninspired to make something like this a news topic. In fact, all they did was squash anyone's chance of seeing it that wanted to see a pseudo-heritage unit. So go ahead and keep subscribing, better your money than mine.
NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby Ypsi » Tue May 01, 2018 6:30 pm

NSSD60M wrote:It has nothing to with CSX in the fact that it is (was) nothing more than tasteful graffiti by some railfan or shop employee.

Using a CSX owned logo, which is the entire reason why it would be repainted anyway.

If you're going to make a comparison, I would be impressed if you actually tried comparing apples to apples.

ok?

The NS Heritage program, as you bring up in your failed argument

ok?

I'll still stand with my view of Trains writers being awfully bored and uninspired to make something like this a news topic.

It is a magazine for railfans? That is a news topic as it is a faux C&O logo in 2018

In fact, all they did was squash anyone's chance of seeing it that wanted to see a pseudo-heritage unit.

It would get painted no matter what. The leaser would also rather have its logo on the unit.

So go ahead and keep subscribing, better your money than mine.

I have never had a TRAINS sub, nice try though :)

Really I have no beef with CSX, TRAINS, or anything. If you look at this like not a foamer, it should be repainted from every business angle, CSX, the leaser, etc. And if you look at it as a magazine for railfans, it should be reported as it is news worthy to see a faux C&O unit in 2018. Not to mention ALL of the photos circulation the internet on their own.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5145
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby Saturnalia » Tue May 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Well actually I’d argue that the leasor doesn’t care what it looks like. Typically they don’t add their own logo and if the base paint is decent it’s a patch and off they go.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Dah Yooper Snowfall Total: 000.0"
User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
 
Posts: 13479
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby SD80MAC » Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 am

Now instead of arguing, you can own 4834 in HO scale!

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATHG89642

Image
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
Image
User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
 
Posts: 7518
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: C&O Logos on Leased Loco

Unread postby DaveO » Wed May 02, 2018 12:15 pm

PRLX 4834 went through Elkhart about 2 weeks ago.
The CSX owned service marks were painted over.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/655644/
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Location: Between here and there


Return to Railfanning Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

x