Michigan Street Running?

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.

Michigan Street Running?

Unread postby atrainguy60 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Aside from spots where tracks run right along the edge of the road or in a median on a road, but not actually in the pavement, had there ever been any true street running in the State of Michigan? I'm assuming if there had been, it's probably gone by now, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: Michigan Street Running?

Unread postby GreatLakesRailfan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:32 am

atrainguy60 wrote:Aside from spots where tracks run right along the edge of the road or in a median on a road, but not actually in the pavement, had there ever been any true street running in the State of Michigan? I'm assuming if there had been, it's probably gone by now, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I could be wrong, but I think there was some in Marine City on the PH&D. It was a block or so in a residential neighborhood, and even though it's long gone, the street is still there. It's probably been repaved a time or two since the RR was removed though. I know there were other instances of street running around here (Port Huron area), including ex-PM on the north side of the Black River drawbridge nobody seems to be able to take down, but it's all been gone for decades.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Jim_c » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:13 pm

In Plainwell, the old industrial siding to the paper mill ran down the center of a street for a block. Mill's closed, siding is gone.
Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby LSRC » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:29 am

Alpena, MI had a stretch of true street running down Fletcher St in addition to the current stretch of "fake" street running down 10th Ave. The Fletcher Street branch has since been removed. Below is a photo taken by Ron Cady of a train running down Fletcher Street, crossing 2nd Ave.

Muskegon Heights, MI also has a stretch of street running, but I'm not sure if it meets your qualifications. Technically I think the rails are separate from the dirt road, but years have neglect have made it closer to true street running.

ImageSW in the Street by Jim Guest, on Flickr

Grand Rapids also had a stretch of street running in downtown, which has since been removed. This video I found on YouTube shows the line in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEFwK5hPSX0
LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread postby ConrailDetr​oit » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:20 am

There is street running now in Detroit :lol: :lol:

ImageQ Line - Detroit, MI by tcamp7837, on Flickr
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby AARR » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:49 am

Passenger trains are not real trains :wink:
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:There is street running now in Detroit :lol: :lol:

ImageQ Line - Detroit, MI by tcamp7837, on Flickr
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby blueheron13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:06 pm

It wasn't that long ago that trains still ran down First St in Monroe, MI. Here is a picture:
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/426665/

Also not all that long ago, trains ran down Guoin St and Wight St in Detroit on the old Detroit Manufacturers Railroad, as described in a book by Byron Babbish. See this post for more info: http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34688
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.
blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby EWRice » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Even though it was an interurban, the Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon hauled freight, and I have seen a few picture of PM freight cars in tow. They ran on streets in GR, Coopersville, Spring Lake, Grand Haven and Muskegon. Not quite the train one would dream of seeing in the middle of Savidge st in SL, but would have been cool anyway.
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Return to Railfanning Information