MMRR Z627 Log

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: MMRR Z627 Log

Unread post by AARR »

MQT3001 wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:HOKX tanks don't carry ammonia. Only thing in Muskegon you will see them carrying is caustic soda, etc. MQT, you either saw anhydrous ammonia or hydrochloric acid. If the tank was a larger black tank, it was anhydrous; if it was a medium size white tank, it was hydrochloric.
Would've been anhydrous then...saw it from as distance :oops:
Which customer gets ammonia? Freeland Co-op?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

If by Freeland Co-op you mean Fremont Co-op, then you are correct. ;-)

GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GR Ron »

MQT3001 wrote:CF&E 3885 just brought another tank move into Muskegon. 2 Two-bay hoppers and a H______ Ammonia Tank. Into North ard at noontime
Your H______ probably was stencilled "Anhydrous". If it was something different, I want to know about it :shock:
GR Ron

Hugh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hugh »

On 06-09-2012 around 12:25 AM, 3885 and 3836 South bound throught GH with 4 box, 37 covered hoppers and 4 tank cars.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Just a quick update as I am in town for the holiday...

A few new sand hoppers to note. These, and the new logo CSX hoppers seem to have replaced a lot of the CSX 3-bay ex-grain hoppers. All these shots are from Henry Street Yard in Muskegon, on Wednesday.

These have been around for several years. The ex-WC hoppers have been under GACX marks but are now being relettered for PMRX - Progress Metal Reclamation. I can't get away from these marks, as International Commodities (INTX) is passing many covered hoppers through their car "shops" in Pittwood, IL, restenciling them to PMRX. While on the topic of restenciling covered hoppers, many 2-bay CSXT hoppers formerly used in sand service (some undoubtedly in Muskegon), are being restenciled for INTX, which would suggest they are now in grain service, although International Commodities does have their own lease fleet.

Another new one is this GACX 2-bay hopper.

Although this one is not "new", I've seen and mentioned these before, I thought I'd post it again. VTGX - VTG North America. These cars come in the 2-bay ribbed side and cylindrical styles.

This is a new one to Muskegon, and a relatively new car itself. UMPX - Upper Merion & Plymouth Leasing Company, a division of First Union Rail (FURX).

HMBX is a mark I'm used to down in the corn belt, like PMRX and this is the first instance where I've seen either of them on 2-bay hoppers. HMBX is one of Helm's many reporting marks.

Lastly, another one of Helm's many marks, HPJX - Helm Pacific are on this ex-UP 2-bay CH. These passed through Villa Grove heading north and I believe made a pit stop on the KBSR via St. Anne, most likely to the car shops, whose name and location escapes me at the moment.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mr. Tops wrote:While on the topic of restenciling covered hoppers, many 2-bay CSXT hoppers formerly used in sand service (some undoubtedly in Muskegon), are being restenciled for INTX, which would suggest they are now in grain service, although International Commodities does have their own lease fleet.
I am surprised they use 2-bays for grain service. If a 3-bay can hold 3500-4000 bushels before maxing out what does a 2-bay hold, 80% or so of that and they don't reach their max load limit. Isnt that poor use of resources?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

As I said, Don, Interstate Commodities is in the business of grain, but they also have their own lease fleet (INTX), so they lease the cars out and they haul whatever. I traced one of the ex-CSX 2-bays, now INTX 427106 and it is indeed still hauling industrial sand between Louisiana and Texas.

Here's a shot of one of the cars in question, actually shot in Villa Grove (not my shot) after coming back from getting restenciled at Pittwood, IL.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mr. Tops wrote:As I said, Don, Interstate Commodities is in the business of grain, but they also have their own lease fleet (INTX), so they lease the cars out and they haul whatever. I traced one of the ex-CSX 2-bays, now INTX 427106 and it is indeed still hauling industrial sand between Louisiana and Texas.
Ok, reason I asked is I read an article about Rock Island using 2-bays in grain shuttle service (between the elevator and flour mill IIRC) and it surprised me. So I continue to see if there are other 2-bays used in grain service.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Last nights Z627 went south at 10:45 with 2 for bay and 10 sand cars. 3885 was leading 3836. Nothing from webb and nothing from north muskegon. a short train for the night.
another thing to take note of, 3801 (Kiamichi unit) is now out of the house and shuffling around the yard in muskegon

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Word is that MS 180 and MS 73 will be leaving the property soon. Might be by rail, in gons....
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

I saw the same train, csx801. They exchanged 2 empties for 3 loads at Bay. Most likely a light train due to the holiday. I saw last Monday night's train as well. I believe it was 39 cars total, 3 for Bay and 36 sandies? -- something like that anyway. Did a good job getting up the hill with just 3836/3839.

Also of note, since the last time I was in Muskegon for Christmas...a sad sight to see the paper mill being razed. What once was one of the largest employers and tax paying properties in Muskegon County, now having been closed for the past 5 or 6 years; this day was evident, but is now a sad reality. The receiving dock area along Lakeshore Dr at the end of Lincoln St is completely flatened, along with some other areas out back along the lakefront. I can remember my dad, and sometimes grandma bringing me down there after school to watch CSX's Y220 switch out the mill, bringing in limestone slurry, clay slurry, paper pulp, sodium hydroxide, and empty boxes for loading the finished paper, as well as other occasional commodities. For a while, they were also receiving logs on bulkhead flats with vertical braces for turning into wood pulp before the pulp mill part of the plant was shut down and wood pulp was then shipped in by truck. The pulp mill was what gave the mill it's signature smell, which I could smell from my house, 5 miles away if the wind was out of the north (usually winter time).

Yep, sure is sad. Next to go is the B.C. Cobb plant. While not related to rail, it is the next Muskegon industry to go. I've known about it's demise, but my sister told me the plant is to be razed by 2015. My uncle who has worked there for many years has already been (and fortunately) relocated to the J.H. Campbell plant at West Olive. Sand is all that is holding up the rail industry in Muskegon County any more. It sure would be nice if they would BUILD something (preferably that ships by rail :wink: ) instead of tearing down.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Mr. Tops wrote: Also of note, since the last time I was in Muskegon for Christmas...a sad sight to see the paper mill being razed. What once was one of the largest employers and tax paying properties in Muskegon County, now having been closed for the past 5 or 6 years; this day was evident, but is now a sad reality. The receiving dock area along Lakeshore Dr at the end of Lincoln St is completely flatened, along with some other areas out back along the lakefront. I can remember my dad, and sometimes grandma bringing me down there after school to watch CSX's Y220 switch out the mill, bringing in limestone slurry, clay slurry, paper pulp, sodium hydroxide, and empty boxes for loading the finished paper, as well as other occasional commodities. For a while, they were also receiving logs on bulkhead flats with vertical braces for turning into wood pulp before the pulp mill part of the plant was shut down and wood pulp was then shipped in by truck. The pulp mill was what gave the mill it's signature smell, which I could smell from my house, 5 miles away if the wind was out of the north (usually winter time).
I feel bad for whoever bought that Sappi site. Most of the neighbors want the property re-zoned so industry can't go there....and if that dosen't work, lawsuits will likely follow. It'll probably be many years before anything new is even beginning to be erected. Same will likely hold true for the Cobb plant.

1 party will be winners through all of this though -> the de-contamination & de-construction crews. Apparently Sappi is full of nasty things (asbestos, lead, ect). The Cobb stack will be fun to watch fall though 8)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mr. Tops wrote:Yep, sure is sad. Next to go is the B.C. Cobb plant. While not related to rail, it is the next Muskegon industry to go. I've known about it's demise, but my sister told me the plant is to be razed by 2015. My uncle who has worked there for many years has already been (and fortunately) relocated to the J.H. Campbell plant at West Olive. Sand is all that is holding up the rail industry in Muskegon County any more. It sure would be nice if they would BUILD something (preferably that ships by rail :wink: ) instead of tearing down.
There will be quite a few coal plants closing soon to meet some new EPA clean air mandate. America has by far the cleanest burning coal plants in the world yet when the environmentalists target their next victim its always an American company rather than the real polutters in China, India, etc. It makes me suspect that their primary motive is improving the environment :?

Hugh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hugh »

The South bound on 7-7-2012, had 2 box, 36 covered hoppers and 9 tank cars, it with through GH around midnight.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

MMRR 3836 and CF&E 3885 took Z627 south through Grand Haven at 12:20 last night with 3 from bay, 23 from nugent, 8 from fremont, and 2 from web (36 total)

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Z627 southbound through Grand Haven at 12:35 with CF&E 3885 leading 3836, 4 boxes, a good 20 or so from nugent and a tank. bringing up the rear.

ikeabc123
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ikeabc123 »

csx801 wrote:Z627 southbound through Grand Haven at 12:35 with CF&E 3885 leading 3836, 4 boxes, a good 20 or so from nugent and a tank. bringing up the rear.
I have noticed that a tank car is usually on the rear of Z627.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

most industries in muskegon that take tank cars are worked later in the day. as a result most of the time they do end up closer to the end of the train, although they ususally have a few more than just one.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Saw this posted on flickr. All that's left of 180.

Michigan Shore 180 Scrap Pile by PPWIII, on Flickr
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Hugh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hugh »

Most nights last week (Coast Guard Week) the South bounds came throught GH around 1:00 AM. Some of the town visitors were seen riding on two of the box cars one night and on the steps of the trailing engine another night.