Durand MI, Queston

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
b17bass
Railroadfan...fan

Durand MI, Queston

Unread post by b17bass »

I am going to head out to Durand Mi to hit up one of the local railfanning hot spots. I have never been out there before but I have seen many images and video taken from the old train station. Any tips on where to be and what to catch while im out there? Thanx for any info!

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Durand MI, Queston

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Well, don't expect much. You'll enjoy the location for sure, but average is just less than one per hour in 24 hours. When are you going and how long are you going to stay?
Brett

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Last I heard best time to catch trains is in the couple hours before sunrise and a few afterwards. However, that tends to change from day to day. I think someone said best days are Wed and Thu but maybe someone can confirm that.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Durand is a fairly good spot to watch trains. You will most likley catch the 371 train that comes up the Holly subdivision probably sometime between 1500 and 1630. You may also see HESR (which is something you should try to see), but HESR has not been coming in until after dark. Durand is still somewhat busy, granted you may not see anything for hours and hours. But I have also been there on days when there has been a train working the yard (which is nice because you always have something to watch). I have been to Durand before where I have had a average of one every 30 minutes. If you arrive at Durand at 9 AM and leave at 8 PM, I would predict you will see probably eight trains or so. But that number could be different depending on the railroad traffic, you could see only two or you could see as many as 13.

Enjoy your time at Durand.

b17bass
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by b17bass »

Great, I am heading up there Thursday. The girlfreind wants to check out the place for wedding ideas, but.......I have other thoughts on my mind! I would expect more trains but thats ok. Are there any other good rail fanning areas near the area?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

b17bass wrote:Great, I am heading up there Thursday. The girlfreind wants to check out the place for wedding ideas, but.......I have other thoughts on my mind! I would expect more trains but thats ok. Are there any other good rail fanning areas near the area?
One of the Saturdays I was in Durand they had a wedding.

But Dave Lang is my hero, after his wedding he and his wedding party drove to GTW Battle Creek engine house and got permission to stand on one of the engines or a picture complete in their wedding outfits :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

b17bass
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by b17bass »

Thats awesome! I dont think my girl would be down for that, I mean she's already going to have to drag me from the tracks! Think I'll want to dance when a train's going by?

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Best the future Mrs. knows about your "sickness" before you get hitched. Don't hide how much time you spend - or will spend - trackside or in the basement (if you model). If she baulks, let 'er go. No sense getting into something where you end up being someone you're not (and miserable too, let alone broke).

Sorry to not sugarcoat it, but it's best to be 110% certain now than spending all your dollars on a divorce lawyer later. You'd be kicking yourself if you went in blinded by... well, you know what... and regretting it later. Some things in life can be too expensive.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

The best place to watch trains is actually right at the depot platform. You can clearly see the Holly Main, Flint Sub Main, Port Huron Wye, Chicago Wye and the high wye is probably about 500(?) feet away.

b17bass
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by b17bass »

I went to Durand and visited the depot, very cool! I didnt see and trains but had enough time to walk around the depot and look at all the pictures inside. I later drove around and was able to veiw a little of the rail yard up the tracks. Im glad I went and may visit the area again for more train viewing. Next, to Toledo!

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

After church, I occasionally head to the Flint Sub in Swartz Creek, and every time, I saw a train, usually eastbound. These trains usually come not long after noon, so if your at Durand around noon, you may catch a couple.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

I heard on another board not to long ago that Tuesday and Thursday are supposed to be the busiest days.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

atrainguy60 wrote:After church, I occasionally head to the Flint Sub in Swartz Creek, and every time, I saw a train, usually eastbound. These trains usually come not long after noon, so if your at Durand around noon, you may catch a couple.
On the first Sunday in December I saw two trains in 15 minutes around 12 noon. One in each direction 8)

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Wow, it's been a while since I've seen Durand that busy! Although around 2008-2009 I saw three trains (?) at once there, a westbound was stopped just east of Newburg Road, a GLC train parked to the south, and an eastbound passing by. I wish Durand was like that all the time. I suppose once we are completely out of the recession, traffic may pick up a bit more.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

atrainguy60 wrote:I suppose once we are completely out of the recession, traffic may pick up a bit more.
I would not count on it. Pre-recession CN serviced two GM assembly plants in Pontiac and one in Hamtramck. All three accounted for many cars a day. No more traffic from any of them. We may see longer trains asd economy improves but not many more.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Ohhhh, I see.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

I am not that familiar with Durand, but it seems like it would have quite a bit of traffic....CN Battle Creek seems pretty busy, and wouldn't most of the same traffic pass through Durand? I'm making a semi-observant guess that BC is seeing 25-30 trains a day at least. Granted, there seems to be a little more movement in the overnight than daytime, but stil... The Flint Sub and Holly Sub intersect right at Durand, right? So most everything CN, besides the locals, that go through BC would also pass through Durand?

Or am I missing something in my mental mapping? :?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

bctrainfan wrote:So most everything CN, besides the locals, that go through BC would also pass through Durand?

Or am I missing something in my mental mapping? :?
Sounds right to me. And IIRC Durand averages around 25 trains per day. If your there at the right time, and thats usually after dark from what I hear, there may be a lot of activity. But during the day light not so much except for some brief periods of activity.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There a few trains on the GTW that only run west of BC, and some of the eastbounds only go as far as Lansing.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Also Rail Activity varies slightly also between Durand and Flint and Flint and Port Huron, like the CSX trains coming off of the Belsay Connection on the east side of Flint. There are the coal drags that run to Marysville and a CSX local that runs to Sarnia.
Exit stage left